I'm having the same problem. Does anyone have any answers?
I can't seem to be able to start Knoppix 6.2 as a samba server using any of the old methods. Normally I type:
# /etc/init.d/samba start
but the samba startup script is not there. Also I cannot find the smbd and nmbd daemons anywhere although (except for the daemons) the other samba files seem to have been installed. Does anyone know if we can still run Knoppix 6.2 as a samba server and how to do that?
Thanks!
I'm having the same problem. Does anyone have any answers?
Simplest: Try the synaptic package manager and see what is installed. Samba server does not seem to be installed in 6.2, and because of version conflict, I wasn't able to install it either.
(Seems like the Debian repositories are in bad shape right now?)

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99