-
Problem with booting Knoppix - error: windows file missing..
Hi,
I have tried several times to boot my Win XP with Grub. However, it didn't work, so I switched to the Win bootloader:
1) dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
2) copied to C:/Windows
3) edited boot.ini, last line: C:\bootsect.lnx
4) started Win correctly
However, when I try to start my hard-disk installed Knoppix (other partition than windows, other disk as well for my safety
) the error "<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or damaged" occurs. But: just when I try to boot *Linux*, Win is booting correctly! Any ideas?
Greetz,
delfin13
-
Senior Member
registered user
I presume you have done the 'dd' OK and this method works as I have no experience of that. I personally use grldr from grub4DOS to boot my (Poor Man's install) Knoppix.
The missing hal.dll message is very misleading as hal.dll is usually still there - as you have found because Windows boots OK.
This error usually occurs when Windows cannot find the file referenced in boot.ini, in your case:
bootsect.lnx
Check very carefully the spelling of your file (including small or capital letters) is the same on the disk and in the boot.ini. Make sure that in .lnx the letter 'l' is used and not 1.
Any menu.lst associated with the grub boot should also be located in the c:\ directory.
-
Thanks a lot - problem solved
I did not have the menu.lst in c: .
Similar Threads
-
By IamLost in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2006, 12:07 AM
-
By Rey Flores in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
-
By s-m-n in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 05:27 PM
-
By Mr_White in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
-
By krix in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$221.00