Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Did somebody try to access my system ???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3

    Did somebody try to access my system ???

    Here's an interesting Knoppix topic for you all:

    I had my PC into a repair shop a while back in order to replace a power supply that had been fried by installing graphics cards that needed too much power. They put in a stronger power supply and I was back in business. I did not give them the login for my system since this was a basic hardware issue.

    My system has an internal DVD drive that used to work fine when I ran XP, but now that I run Vista, I use an external drive, since the old internal one is incompatible. As a result I haven't looked into my old internal DVD drive in some time.

    Today however, I opened it up and discovered a Knoppix 5.3 CD in there (certainly not mine, and nobody else has had access to my system). I'm guessing it would run fine on the old DVD drive if this was used to boot the system. I did a little research and understand that Knoppix is frequently used for data recovery, and is able to access and copy data from the file system.

    Fortunately I keep most sensitive data in an encrypted folder, but this makes me think these guys tried to access my data without permission...?!?

    Is there any way to find a log or anything that would show when the system was booted using Knoppix? Any way to prove these guys tried to access my PC?

    Thanks for your feedback-

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    PC repair shops are notorious for stealing data and worse (particularly but not limited to Best Buy). Consider anything that wasn't encrypted or that could be opened even though encrypted with the account information that you gave them to be compromised. I'm not sure why they felt they had to use knoppix if you gave them a user and password, but maybe they were just being thorough in their snooping.

    On top of it all, you likely paid them a small fortune to undo 4 screws and replace the power supply, as well as snoop around on your system. You could have easily swapped the power supply yourself.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3
    I didn't give them the login, which is why they were using knoppix I guess. I'm just wondering if there would be any traces of their activity...

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix does not write to the disk.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3
    bummer. Okay thanks.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Another reason they may have used the Knoppix CD was simply to power up your PC and make sure it was working. Some shops don't like to use the customer's login details if it's avoidable. I know, I used to own a PC manufacturing company

    In this case as they were not doing any work on your Windows installation and were just testing the power supply, it would have made sense to use a boot CD. It's simpler, quicker and has less chance of running into a "password not working" scenario ... or any customer accusations that his Windows is now not working properly.

    When I ran the PC business, staff didn't have time to muck around sorting through the tons of rubbish on users' PCs. They did often have to login to Windows to solve virus, drivers or other problems but their incentive was to complete the job, sign off the ticket and move to the next repair on the manifest.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    No worries

    I wouldn't be too worried about it. Big box stores as the admin said don't have time to muck around in someone elses pc. And why would they have to, they could be charged for privacy.

    Then again the store could have called you to ask for the user password to tell you they needed to check to make sure the power supply was working, or they could have easily tested it in another machine to confirm a working p/s and then waited for you to come in and check it. hmm... yes when you start thinking about it too much I see why you could be upset.

    If you're really curious, instead of dwelling on the possibilities, Why don't you just phone them up and ask them why they left a knoppix cd in your drive ? See what sort of answer they give. You could even ask them why didn't they call you in to ask for a password? ...

    Did you happen to sign any papers when you gave your computer to them? ... Should read the fine print if you did to see what you agreed (allowed) them to do with your system.

    ... in any case, maybe just pull the H.D when you send it in for something like that .. lesson learned.

Similar Threads

  1. System will identify but not mount FD's or access the
    By Capt. Cautious in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 04:53 PM
  2. System crashes when creating compressed file system
    By insolit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 01:08 AM
  3. unable to access sfs file system with critcal data!!!
    By evermuse in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:31 AM
  4. No root file system (but system works)
    By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
  5. access to local file system
    By warwick in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA-RB4-12-MH1 DDR4 ECC RDIMM M393A8G40BB4-CWECO picture

SAMSUNG 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA-RB4-12-MH1 DDR4 ECC RDIMM M393A8G40BB4-CWECO

$650.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



(LOT OF 6) Samsung 16GB PC5-44800 DDR5-5600B 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory picture

(LOT OF 6) Samsung 16GB PC5-44800 DDR5-5600B 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory

$1050.00



Samsung Lenovo 46W0831 192GB lot of 12 16GB DDR4 truDDR4 ECC Reg PC4-2400T RAM  picture

Samsung Lenovo 46W0831 192GB lot of 12 16GB DDR4 truDDR4 ECC Reg PC4-2400T RAM

$1049.79



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT 8 SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2400T RB2 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N picture

LOT 8 SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2400T RB2 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N

$1599.99



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



16GB SK Hynix HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF DDR4 PC4-2133P RDIMM Server Memory picture

16GB SK Hynix HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF DDR4 PC4-2133P RDIMM Server Memory

$69.99