-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Knoppix by default will make that "open" a read-only open. It deliberately will resist writing to any hard drive withf either FAT or NTFS partitions. The restriction on not writing to FAT can safely be overwritten (I have done this many thines). Some people have managed to over ride the restriction on NTFS as well, but ....
I say it is not safe because after years of watching this forums and years of people reporting corrupted NTFS partitions after writing to them with Knoppix, I've come to believe that it is not safe. I've seen one report after another that "now Knoppix can finally write to NTFS", only to find it was premature and that problems still exist. More recently I've seen some talk of using an alternate hard disk driver that might work properly, but Knoppix is still defaulting to the dangerous one that will corrupt a partition. I don't know how to use the alternate hard disk driver and be certain that I'm even not using the known dangerous driver, so I have to believe that someone who calls himself computerdummy doesn't know how to do that either.
He is not going to be able to create an extra FAT32 partition on the disk, for the simple reason that virtually all disks are going to be just about 100% partitioned, no reseller or average user leaves an extra 100 gig lying around for some future partition.
If the external drive had no needed data on it and could be completely reformatted as FAT32 (erasing any files on it) then this recovery could be done safely. I don't know the state of that drive and would not want to suggest any operation that would cause even more loss of data. I thought that what I had posted and a bit of common sense should be enough to let one decide the next move for themselves.
I am indeed "average" when it comes to computers but I would hardly call knowing that all disks are already partitioned (or what partitioning means) and to reformat to FAT32 as common sense...but I do appreciate the help, honestly.
I'll just go ahead and clear the external drive of all files and then reformat to FAT32 and transfer my files over. I hope I'm not missing any other foreseeable common sense issues. thanks again guys
Similar Threads
-
By saman0suke in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
-
By buzzspot in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
-
By Lenny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
-
By dnewcomb in forum Ideas
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99