Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Surprisingly SPECTACULAR distro! & data recovery too!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33

    Surprisingly SPECTACULAR distro! & data recovery too!

    Congratulations to the Knoppix team!
    Great Job!
    Leaving the details aside I had a sudden and urgent problem with a distro with which I was playing and had inadvertently left some information I needed on it when...it locked up.. dead... the horrible tty1 message!
    All the usual stuff, startx, you name it, didn't work so I thought I'd try a couple of lived cds that will supposedly help one dredge out such deep sixed data.

    No go.

    I had used Knoppix when I first tried Linux, a fellow said it was just the cat's meow, but, being basically an idiot, I was clueless about how to use it.

    But...I thought I'd try the latest and greatest and WOAH!!!

    A BEUUUUUTIFULLL interface WITH Compiz! AND.....I opened the hard drive with the file manger and dragged and dropped the data onto a USB stick and was done...

    Also, I'd fiddled with the LXDE desktop and was greatly impressed with it's speed and elegance

    I was sitting there and thinking, don't do that very much... ..and says to myself......I could NOT let this distro go by.....so I installed it on a Toshiba Satellite lappy and what more is there to say?!

    My hat is doffed to the developers, the community...EVERY BODY!!

    woodsmoke

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4
    Absolutely agree 100 percent. I used Knoppix yesterday to access a Ubuntu box where I had altered the PATH environment in a way that created a conflict with logging in. With Knoppix I was able to go in and put # in front of my mistake. (And, if anyone cares, it was all because I put kde3.5 on a later distro that has kde4 also--just to play the older kgoldrunner, which I love and adore. Anyone following in those footsteps might want to create a script to run the game so that on reboot the PATH is back to normal.) I'm now convinced that everyone, whether they are using some Microsoft O/S or a linux distro, should have Knoppix in their toolbox. Knoppix is a brilliant creation!!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5
    Just how do you get to 'data recovery' mode or where do you find the instructions?

Similar Threads

  1. Data recovery!
    By andyp in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
  2. Data Recovery
    By mustjustbe in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
  3. Data recovery from HDD
    By Metallo in forum General Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
  4. Data recovery w/ knoppix
    By cohyster in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
  5. Data recovery.
    By Rggoalie3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30