-
Senior Member
registered user
Anyone got Moonlight to work with Iceweasel in Knoppix 6.X?
Sometimes, we just don't have any choice. A public service I use streams video in Silverlight format, and I have installed Moonlight and the necessary codecs to play it in Iceweasel. Nothing is played, however, and there is no error message. It has got nothing to do with network connections or hardware, as I run everything successfully (with the native Silverlight plugin) in Firefox and Windows XP running under VMware Workstation 7, simultanously. Of course, I'm in no great trouble, as I can use the virtual solution, but Moonlight is supposed to work here. So - has anyone got Moonlight to work with Silverlight videos?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I use Knoppix V 6.2.1 DVD installed on HDD within VMware Player 3.0 on a Windows XP host.
First I installed the two moonlight packages with aptitude. I updated iceweasel 3.5.6 to 3.5.8. To start aptitude I executed
Code:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude -t testing
Then I searched a web page with silverlight demos. On one page there was a message that moonlight was compiled with support for silverlight 1.0 only and that page needed silverlight 2.0. Therefore I went to http://mono-project.com/Main_Page where I found http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/. On that page there was a link to "Moonlight 3.0 preview" http://go-mono.com/moonlight/prerelease.aspx. I downloaded and installed the plugin. After having restarted iceweasel I went to http://www.vectorform.com/silverlight/ and tested the plugin with a "Silverlight Video Player". After the installation of Microsoft's media codecs, I was able to watch that video provided.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks! Worked with Iceweasel 3.5.8 and Moonlight 2.99.X
I'm a little afraid of upgrading too much, as it can fill up the persistent storage. Therefore, I used synaptic and picked just Iceweasel for upgrade to 3.5.8. Then I downloaded and installed Mono 2.99 ("3.0 preview"), and after right-clicking to install the right codecs, everything worked.
Similar Threads
-
By dinosaur in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
-
By thedaz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-24-2009, 03:11 PM
-
By thoste in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
-
By bythesea in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-28-2008, 04:35 AM
-
By ihawk60 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120
$999.00

Mitel IP 485G VoIP 8-Line Color Display Business Desk Phone - IP485G
$32.99

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery C2-F3
$185.00

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07