-
Senior Member
registered user
What about adding users?
Running a graphical environment as root is generally considered dangerous practice. When you for example do that in KDE/Mandriva, you get a red background as default, to remind you of the dangers. I do it sometimes, but with Knoppix, I have been able to do everything I need either with sudo or becoming root with su in a terminal window. As "local" root, I can also run X applications with root privilieges when I need it for administrative purposes. With LXDE and 6.X, everything works fine for me that way - maybe it is otherwise with KDE. In order to limit the consequences of errors I inadvertently make all the time, I try to work with as low privilieges as possible.
The KNOPPIX LiveCD/DVD provides many applications via its menus when you boot to its GUI desktop(s). But you cannot use them for many necessary functions.
If that had been the case for me, I would certainly have tried to get the distribution setup changed. But it isn't, and I don't think many experience it. For me, there are just a few tasks I get forced to do as root. Irritating enough, but no reason for me to run X as root.
Your subject was: How CAN I add a user to Knoppix V6.2 DVD KDE boot? This solution seems to be running as root, not adding another user. I'll be interested in experiences with adding ordinary users. With the new Knoppix much closer to standard Debian, perhaps that is not so much of a problem as it has been traditionally.
Similar Threads
-
By dpatchen in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
-
By tuds47 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:02 AM
-
By mark_53 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 02:25 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 12:22 PM
-
By Vapor in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT
$225.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ
$799.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00