-
Senior Member
registered user
HD Install vs. CD
I have resently installed knoppix to hard drive and found the following differences from a CD based. I hope somebody will guide me as to make my installation function similar to that of a cd based.
1. I want to have icons for my hd partions displayed on the desktop which are the same as the cd version. What I mean is that by right clicking on these icons I am able to mount,changed to read right or open the partitions.
2.On the cd version I can mount partitions by simply "mount /devhda5". On my hard disk install I have to "mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5" .What is the reason for this?
3. Kpackage is not working properly. I wanted to uninstall packages using kpackage but I get a "file does not exist"error. I can unistall in root console mode though using dpkg -P .(obviously,this does not work in a cd based)
4. The refresh rate will not change whatever settings I set in the xserver in the hd installation. It always goes back to 60hz. I can change it in the cd version by including it in boot script (xvrefresh=75).
5. A hd install seems to run slower than a cd based.
Otherwise I consider knoppix to be my preferred distro.It is the only one that would recognize my winmodem. I have tried slackware,dragon,mandrake,morphix and suse live eval and was not able to use my modem in all of them. Also knoppix has the most active and dedicated forum.
I just hope it would stay this way!
thanks!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99