Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
5. A hd install seems to run slower than a cd based.
AFAIK This is the only thing that has not been documented or at least discussed here. (Presuming you do in fact have DMA enabled). In what way does your install seem to run slower?

Since the main focus of Knoppix is a live bootable disc there are certain 'sacrifices' made, certain things are removed to fit everything into a limited space. It would help to know which version you're running. I attempt to at least try almost every release as an install. I have definitely noticed some quirks here and there. Also remember that Klaus and Co. (pardon me fellas) are releasing a new versions quite frequently. This is as close as you can get to the leading edge. Debian is an excellent distro and Knoppix is exactly what Debian needed to get it off and running in mainstream desktop computing. Learn to use apt-get. You can also get synaptic which is my preferred frontend. Have you done
man apt-get

Have you been here?

apt-get synaptic
synaptic


Otherwise I consider knoppix to be my preferred distro.It is the only one that would recognize my winmodem. I have tried slackware,dragon,mandrake,morphix and suse live eval and was not able to use my modem in all of them. Also knoppix has the most active and dedicated forum.
I just hope it would stay this way!
thanks!
Please do yourself a favor and go read the docs. There is alot of info on how to make this a standard installation.