-
Since you obviously still have internet access, hunt down a copy of Hiren's BootCD. I searched a bit when I needed it, and eventually found a very fast Thai server that had the latest one. It's got several nice NTFS recovery tools, along with a lot of other good stuff for recovery and repair.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Senior Member
registered user
Somehow I don't get the logic behind trying to use non-native tools to fix a window$ issue. Writing to a Windows NTFS partition is risky enough if using Windows. It can be disastrous using Linux, especially if you really don't know what you are doing. Many times, a few minutes in the recovery console might resolve your problem. There are specific "Windows" tools that can be used depending on the version of Windows you are working with. The best piece of advice I can give you, When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!
The suggestion to Download the "Hiren's Boot CD" as some sort of a cure all seems to be less than half an answer. Exactly WHAT would be the procedure to use it and what tool would you suggest? I've seen that suggested many times before and have never found it to be that useful, or any better than conventional Windows based tools. It might be why it's on some obscure server in Thailand. Why not suggest something that can help the original poster resolve the problem, without confusing the issue and making a suggestion that could make matters even worse for them. Sort of like giving them a bigger shovel.
Windows is Windows and my suggestion would be to start with Windows tools and basic drive diagnostics. When a drive fails or becomes corrupted, the worst thing to do is make changes to the drive unless you know what the problem is. If the drive has failed, salvaging the data would be the primary goal. I would strongly suggest starting on the Micro$oft and drive manufacturer's sites and looking for an answer there. If the usual "Windows" tools do not repair the drive, then it's time to look at time tested tools like Spinrite. Contacting the system manufacturer and obtaining a set of recovery disks would be a great idea. Most often the disks can be made when you get the system. There is sometimes a tool that will allow you to produce one set of disks, if they were not supplied with the system. When the system breaks is not the time to be looking to do that.
If you know the drive manufacturer, many of them have downloadable tools to test their drives. You can usually see if there is a major hardware (Drive) issue within a short period of time. Using "chkdsk" in Windows or the recovery console with the appropriate switches ( ie: /f or /r) will often be enough to "fix" a drive, provided it has not failed.
The original post appears to have been placed some months ago, so I would hope that there was a success for him somewhere down the line.
-

Originally Posted by
ckamin
Somehow I don't get the logic behind trying to use non-native tools to fix a window$ issue. Writing to a Windows NTFS partition is risky enough if using Windows. It can be disastrous using Linux, especially if you really don't know what you are doing. Many times, a few minutes in the recovery console might resolve your problem. There are specific "Windows" tools that can be used depending on the version of Windows you are working with. The best piece of advice I can give you, When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!
I agree, especially with tools that might have been damaged by the original crash.
The suggestion to Download the "Hiren's Boot CD" as some sort of a cure all seems to be less than half an answer.
It's far from a cure-all, as you say. But it's got some useful stuff gathered together in a very usable way. Have you ever tried it?
Exactly WHAT would be the procedure to use it and what tool would you suggest?
You have to look at the documentation to see what all it has (using the link I supplied?), and play with it a bit to get a sense of what's applicable for a particular need - just like messing around with Windows tools.
I've seen that suggested many times before and have never found it to be that useful, or any better than conventional Windows based tools.
A number of those tools are on there - they're simply usable, where tools from the original partition may not be.
It might be why it's on some obscure server in Thailand. Why not suggest something that can help the original poster resolve the problem, without confusing the issue and making a suggestion that could make matters even worse for them. Sort of like giving them a bigger shovel.
FYI, Hiren's BootCD is available all over the web; I merely needed a fast download server at that time. (I had a problem with torrents and wanted to just download.) I thought it worth noting that there were multiple options for getting "ahold" of it. FWIW, a "bigger shovel" has often been exactly what I needed, and I tend to believe that other people can choose for themselves what tools to arm themselves with, how much to swing them around, and when to stop.
Windows is Windows and my suggestion would be to start with Windows tools and basic drive diagnostics.
I felt that (since the original poster had probably already handled their situation) people reading this with interest would usually have tried Windows-based options and tools, as I had when I needed NTFS help, so a nice collection of utilities that can help in a lot of sticky situations would be appropriate.
When a drive fails or becomes corrupted, the worst thing to do is make changes to the drive unless you know what the problem is. If the drive has failed, salvaging the data would be the primary goal.
Agreed! Since HBCD has some nice tools for doing that, perhaps it WOULD have been better to stress that (I often do, but I was remiss in this case.)
I would strongly suggest starting on the Micro$oft and drive manufacturer's sites and looking for an answer there. If the usual "Windows" tools do not repair the drive, then it's time to look at time tested tools like Spinrite. Contacting the system manufacturer and obtaining a set of recovery disks would be a great idea. Most often the disks can be made when you get the system. There is sometimes a tool that will allow you to produce one set of disks, if they were not supplied with the system. When the system breaks is not the time to be looking to do that.
Each situation is unique. In my own case, the Windows-supplied tools failed to correct the problem, and the version of chkdsk on Hiren's BootCD did it. Since there are other potential causes, I agree it's worthwhile to consider tools like Spinrite - and there are quite a few on HBCD.
If you know the drive manufacturer, many of them have downloadable tools to test their drives. You can usually see if there is a major hardware (Drive) issue within a short period of time. Using "chkdsk" in Windows or the recovery console with the appropriate switches ( ie: /f or /r) will often be enough to "fix" a drive, provided it has not failed.
The original post appears to have been placed some months ago, so I would hope that there was a success for him somewhere down the line.
Yeah, I noticed that, too - the post was before my time on this board. But since someone had "put the ball in play" I thought a follow-up was worthwhile for the benefit of others who'd seen it.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Senior Member
registered user
krishna.murphy
Your suggestion to download the Hiren's Boot CD should be investigated THOROUGHLY before someone actually does so. There are at least a dozen and a half "unlicensed" commercial programs contained on that disk. As a "moderator" in any forum, you should refrain from such suggestions until you have determined that the disk is properly licensed for such distribution. It is a poor reflection on the reputation of the forum in general. I have worked in numerous corporate environments where such a disk could result in the immediate termination of any employee that used or had it in any corporate asset. I've seen it happen. I purchase licenses for software and applications that I use, and have had my employers do the same when it is required.
I am familiar with the disk and do not recommend it for the licensing issues. Even some of the "freeware" or "shareware" apps can be outside of their legal usage restrictions. I would suggest that anyone looking to use one of the applications, go to the original author's site and download it according to the license agreement contained therein. If you need a commercial program, it's best to purchase it. that way you can get a "current" version and make use of their support options if you need to.
I have also had at least two people that downloaded the Hiren's Boot CD, as recommended on some "forum", do serious damage to what was left of their data. In those cases, a few simple efforts with windows based tools might have done the trick in the first place.
I would also be very careful on the site you linked to. There is at least one link that offers a trojan or two.
Like I first said, if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Similar Threads
-
By CaptainChunk in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:31 AM
-
By Idenheart in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-04-2006, 05:33 AM
-
By bobby_lobby in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
-
By Mr.Joecat in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
-
By Rey Flores in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver
$299.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PERC H755 3KDWX 8GB 12Gb SAS RAID Controller With Battery & Cables
$949.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00