Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Help! I am new to Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2

    Help! I am new to Knoppix

    Hello I am new to Knoppix and Linux too. I am totaly confused and frustrated. Not with Knoppix but with myself. I need a place to learn how to do things with knoppix IE down load an app and then actualy install it or play a dvd ect.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    tombell, there's isn't any training school or ebook that I know of. The best way would be to start by reading the documentation - link at the top of this page - and then using the forum search feature to find previous threads discussing problems you've come across that have been resolved in the past.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    as for installing, open synaptic, that is, open a console and type
    Code:
    sudo synaptic
    then update library and search in the window, say you want a Audio mixer, search mixer (chances are that one is available) then right click on the check box and choose install. then apply the change. not that hard.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    You should also tell us what version of knoppix you have, and if it's CD or DVD. I only have CD myself, as I have no DVD-ROM drive, but I understand (if I'm not mistaken) that the DVD version allows you to create a USB version, which you can use to create a persistent image, i.e. you can install software and keep it for the next time you boot knoppix.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ndb, I think the 6.2 CD version has that option, I did that a week ago to help rescue files from a friends computer (old laptop), also created a 2G FAT32 partition for the files at first boot with said USBstick.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5

    Virtualise it and do whatever you need without fear

    Hi, I[m also new to this and opted firsst to learn virtual box. Since then I installed preetty many distros and have been learning with it without any fear of damaging a machine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95