-
Ok so I finally got that figured out and disconnected the power and the ribbon to the hard drive.
I now get a message on the screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device." No matter what I try I can't get past this message. I figured out how to use f2 to get into the Bios and set my dvd drive as the boot drive which is where the CD with Knoppix is, but still no luck.
I am curious, even if I could get the thing to boot, how could I recover my data if the hard drive is disconnected?
Any more suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
MaxHeadRoom
I am curious, even if I could get the thing to boot, how could I recover my data if the hard drive is disconnected?
You couldn't, but the disconnection of the drive was more of a test to see if the drive was keeping you from booting than an effort to recover. It may well be, from what we are seeing here, that the drive has a hardware failure and you are not likely to recover anything from it. However, it is pretty suspicious that you still can't get a CD or DVD to boot, so I would hold off on calling that hard drive "dead" just yet.
I'm at a loss to tell you what to try next. Perhaps one of the others will have an idea.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Mount the drive in an external cabinet

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
MaxHeadRoom
I am curious, even if I could get the thing to boot, how could I recover my data if the hard drive is disconnected?
You couldn't, but the disconnection of the drive was more of a test to see if the drive was keeping you from booting than an effort to recover. It may well be, from what we are seeing here, that the drive has a hardware failure and you are not likely to recover anything from it. However, it is pretty suspicious that you still can't get a CD or DVD to boot, so I would hold off on calling that hard drive "dead" just yet.
I'm at a loss to tell you what to try next. Perhaps one of the others will have an idea.
To recover data from a drive in a problematic PC, the safest is to take it out and mount it in an external USB cabinet. You get them for all actual drive types/sizes.
From the problem description, it would seem most likely that the BIOS is malfunctioning. Seldom worthwhile fixing on older PCs, in my opinion.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could try resetting the bios by removing the coin size battery on the motherboard for a few moments. Unplug the computer first.
Since neither the CD or the hard drive will boot, I wouldn't necessarily give up on either of them. The fault may well be in the motherboard, so recovery of data from the drive using an external enclosure might be possible.
HTH
-
Thanks everybody. I have lots to try now. I'll let you know how it all plays out.
Thanks again so very much for all your help, ideas and suggestions.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD
$19.90

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive
$49.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$343.98

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99