Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Can't Boot with CD

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7
    Ok so I finally got that figured out and disconnected the power and the ribbon to the hard drive.

    I now get a message on the screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device." No matter what I try I can't get past this message. I figured out how to use f2 to get into the Bios and set my dvd drive as the boot drive which is where the CD with Knoppix is, but still no luck.

    I am curious, even if I could get the thing to boot, how could I recover my data if the hard drive is disconnected?

    Any more suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #12
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadRoom
    I am curious, even if I could get the thing to boot, how could I recover my data if the hard drive is disconnected?
    You couldn't, but the disconnection of the drive was more of a test to see if the drive was keeping you from booting than an effort to recover. It may well be, from what we are seeing here, that the drive has a hardware failure and you are not likely to recover anything from it. However, it is pretty suspicious that you still can't get a CD or DVD to boot, so I would hold off on calling that hard drive "dead" just yet.

    I'm at a loss to tell you what to try next. Perhaps one of the others will have an idea.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Mount the drive in an external cabinet

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadRoom
    I am curious, even if I could get the thing to boot, how could I recover my data if the hard drive is disconnected?
    You couldn't, but the disconnection of the drive was more of a test to see if the drive was keeping you from booting than an effort to recover. It may well be, from what we are seeing here, that the drive has a hardware failure and you are not likely to recover anything from it. However, it is pretty suspicious that you still can't get a CD or DVD to boot, so I would hold off on calling that hard drive "dead" just yet.

    I'm at a loss to tell you what to try next. Perhaps one of the others will have an idea.
    To recover data from a drive in a problematic PC, the safest is to take it out and mount it in an external USB cabinet. You get them for all actual drive types/sizes.
    From the problem description, it would seem most likely that the BIOS is malfunctioning. Seldom worthwhile fixing on older PCs, in my opinion.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    You could try resetting the bios by removing the coin size battery on the motherboard for a few moments. Unplug the computer first.

    Since neither the CD or the hard drive will boot, I wouldn't necessarily give up on either of them. The fault may well be in the motherboard, so recovery of data from the drive using an external enclosure might be possible.

    HTH

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks everybody. I have lots to try now. I'll let you know how it all plays out.

    Thanks again so very much for all your help, ideas and suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper JNP-QSFP-40G-LR4 740-073095 picture

Juniper JNP-QSFP-40G-LR4 740-073095

$138.89



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB picture

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB

$285.00