-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Borked MBR but think I know what problem is

Originally Posted by
yachp
Silly me, I did a hard drive install before reading all the information about not installing to the hard drive. I suppose, if it is that problematic, there should be a warning if you choose that option. Anyway, the installation borked my MBR and now neither windows, nor my linux mint installation is there.
I think I know what the problem is though. In the menu.lst of grub it says
norootverify (hd,1,0)
and then it tells me the disk doesn't exist.
I think is should be (hd0,2) since the windows partiion is sda2
I, however, am stupid and cannot figure out how to edit the menu.lst file. I would need some really idiot proof instructions
Also this computer is an Acer Aspire One. I seem to have lost the ability to do an erecovery whiich was not an issue with using grub with linux Mint. That is on partition sda1. So if anyone knows how to get that accessible that would be appreciated.
You must post more information if you want help.
Post the entire, precise, content of /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Post the entire, precise, content of /boot/grub/device.map - if it exists.
Also, post the output of fdisk -l.
In the old days, starting DOS from a diskette and issuing the fdisk /mbr command would normally get you Windows back, if no partition changes had occurred.
Similar Threads
-
By Henk Poley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 Vintage Computer - Not Working parts
$89.95

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA
$139.99

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25" Floppy Disk Lot of 9 Single Sided Used
$49.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37