Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Can't find K3b in Knoppix 6.2 Live Cd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    Can't find K3b in Knoppix 6.2 Live Cd

    I bought the Knoppix 6.2 Live CD this week from OSDisc.com and I am using it as a rescue disk to recover data from my hard drive that will not boot in normal or safe mode. I am following the advice from a forum I found on the social answers microsoft website. The moderator said to get Knoppix and use this to gain access to the data that needs to be saved before using the recovery disk that wipes out all the data and reinstalls windows xp. The Knoppix disk boots fine and I can see my hard drive with all the files that I need to copy. The problem is that the moderator said to use the K3b program to burn the data but I can't find this program on the Knoppix disk.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    k3b: It's not there!

    It's not there!
    Probably an oversight, but there are several workarounds. The easiest way out for you, as I see it, is to install Knoppix to a USB stick, have a persistent image made, and install k3b from Debian repositories.
    It surely sounds like a mouthful, but it's not hard at all.

    1. Start Knoppix from CD
    2. Insert a (preferably) blank USB stick 8+ GB for DVD, 2+ GB for CD.
    3. Under main menu, preferences submenu, select Install to flash.
    4. Be careful installing to the right place, whatever you choose stay away from PRIMARY HARD DISK (dev/sda). USB stick is often /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc. Size is reported, you can use that as a check.
    5. After install is complete, set up pc bios to boot preferably from USB
    6. Boot from USB
    7. During the booting process, you will be asked if you want to create a persistent disk image. Say yes, give at least 1GB if you can. Max, 4GB is fine if you are going to use this a lot later.
    8. After booting, make sure you have network connection up and running.
    9. Under main menu, preferences, select Synaptic package manager, and click reload button to have package list updated.
    10. Use the search function, search for k3b. Mark it for install, click the Apply button. k3b will then be installed, if nothing has gone wrong.
    11. After complete installation, you can use k3b for CD/DVD burning etc. You will probably find it on the Audio&Video submenu.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Or, if you have a USB memory device (not a NTFS formatted USB hard drive), it may be even simpler to just save the files that you want to that.

    An alternative is to save the files to another computer on a network, if a network is available.

    While things can (usually) be installed in Knoppix, recent trends are indeed unfortunate. Knoppix was originally a simple way to introduce new user to Linux, and it also served as a great recovery tool. Recent releases seem to have gone astray from that. Several key programs have been left out. And while installing software has become possible, requiring a large flash memory device, and even then still having Knoppix subject to the problems created by being a mix of several different and generally incompatible Debian releases, does not make for a user friendly experience for someone new to Linux.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5

    One more question

    Thanks for the help Capri and Harry. I'll go grap a flash drive with at least 2GB of space. The one more question is do you know why the computer freezes when running Knoppix? It happens when I try to close a window and not everytime I close a window. Sometimes its the first time I close a window and sometimes it could be the 8th window. What I'm trying to say is that you never know when it will freeze Knoppix but it always does at some point.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: One more question

    Hey-

    Two things-
    1) More memory would likely help; If you're using a system with a drive that has Windows NTFS, Knoppix will use the Windows swap file which then uses a lot of processor power/system time to access the NTFS partition.
    2) Brasero is included in Knoppix for burning ISOs, which all I ever used K3b for - seems fine.

    Hope that helps!
    -Krishna

    Quote Originally Posted by dmiller2651
    Thanks for the help Capri and Harry. I'll go grap a flash drive with at least 2GB of space. The one more question is do you know why the computer freezes when running Knoppix? It happens when I try to close a window and not everytime I close a window. Sometimes its the first time I close a window and sometimes it could be the 8th window. What I'm trying to say is that you never know when it will freeze Knoppix but it always does at some point.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: One more question

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    .... If you're using a system with a drive that has Windows NTFS, Knoppix will use the Windows swap file which t...
    [/quote]
    This is the first time that I have ever heard this claim. Can you give a reference to support it? If it turns out to be true then I'll completely stop using Knoppix, as writing to a NTFS disk partition with Knoppix is not safe and a good way to corrupt it.

    If a Linux swap partition exists then Knoppix will use it. And I know that old 3.x versions would allow you to explicitly create a swap file on a FAT partition that could be used for swapping rather than a swap partition. I would not be surprised to find that this feature was still there, and I could even believe that if one was foolish enough to create the swap file on a NTFS partition that Knoppix might try to use it. But I certainly hope that using the Windows swap file for space is not being ayyempted by Knoppix.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: One more question

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    .... If you're using a system with a drive that has Windows NTFS, Knoppix will use the Windows swap file which t...
    This is the first time that I have ever heard this claim. Can you give a reference to support it? If it turns out to be true then I'll completely stop using Knoppix, as writing to a NTFS disk partition with Knoppix is not safe and a good way to corrupt it.

    If a Linux swap partition exists then Knoppix will use it. And I know that old 3.x versions would allow you to explicitly create a swap file on a FAT partition that could be used for swapping rather than a swap partition. I would not be surprised to find that this feature was still there, and I could even believe that if one was foolish enough to create the swap file on a NTFS partition that Knoppix might try to use it. But I certainly hope that using the Windows swap file for space is not being ayyempted by Knoppix.
    I have a 4GB Linux swap partition, and Knoppix uses that automatically, leaving the Windows partition with its swapfile alone. Even if that is installed on FAT32, making it safe to use it.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: One more question

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    I have a 4GB Linux swap partition, and Knoppix uses that automatically, leaving the Windows partition with its swapfile alone. Even if that is installed on FAT32, making it safe to use it.
    I have enough memory, making a swap file unneeded. But my concern is with the claim that Knoppix would try to use a Windows file, even implicity one on a NTFS partition. Have you ever heard of that? My concern is that when I'm using Knoppix to try to help someone recover files I don't have a Linux swap file or swap partition out on their disk, and I don't want to further corrupt things. And even most of my systems no longer have FAT partitions, so it would not be safe for me to create a Linux swap file (and I don't want to repartition to free up space for a Linux swap file on my Windows systems).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    I'm quite sure it doesn't happen

    I'm quite sure it doesn't happen, and of course it could be disastrous. The typical setup on a pc where I have run Knoppix, is a FAT32/NTFS partition with some Windows version first on disk (or second, if there is some hibernation or system partition first). And while I have occasionally (many years ago) had Windows and Linux share swapfile (no problem with that), I have never experienced or heard about any Knoppix version automounting Windows swapfiles like it does with Linux swap partitions. Quite sure it does not automount Linux non-partition swap files either, have to use the swapon command.

    Maybe grep through the sources for Knoppix deb-packages? I have never looked into that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: One more question

    Quote Originally Posted by dmiller2651
    Thanks for the help Capri and Harry. I'll go grap a flash drive with at least 2GB of space. The one more question is do you know why the computer freezes when running Knoppix? It happens when I try to close a window and not everytime I close a window. Sometimes its the first time I close a window and sometimes it could be the 8th window. What I'm trying to say is that you never know when it will freeze Knoppix but it always does at some point.
    Install Knoppix on a flash drive. Having more than a couple of windows open when running from the CD/DVD is certainly a very bad idea. Much of working memory is then reserved for ramdisks, and Linux uses a relatively aggressive strategy for keeping memory busy, caching. For instance, right now on my 2GB system running from flash, with some 9 windows open, 1.16 GB of 1.61 GB total memory in use is used for caching. With less caching, performance drops.
    And if you run a browser with scripts allowed globally, you may be on the edge of freezing regardless of configuration or system resources thrown at those scripts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find Knoppix filesystem ...
    By nofsystem in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
  2. Can't find Knoppix filesystem...
    By chiram in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
  3. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By strtt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 06:44 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.7 didn't find any hd
    By Miksch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
  5. Knoppix wont find cd-rom
    By CAKochenash in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60