-
gpart
I noticed there is no gpart in the new Knoppix 6.2 release. gpart was extremely useful to me a while back when I lost my partition table. I was able to use Knoppix 5.3.1 which already has gpart on it to recover my partition table and boot my computer again. Everything I own was on those partitions. I have it backed up on an external drive but still think of the aggravation.
I tryed installing from tar .gz file but after make is executed it comes back with many errors. Same thing goes for the Ubuntu live cd. Its no problem intalling it with synaptic to my HD Ubuntu install. If you cant boot the HD it does little good though. LOL
I'm loving 6.2
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you are online try typing
Code:
sudo apt-get install parted.
or even
Code:
sudo apt-get install gparted
that should sort the problem in short order
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think he means gpart http://packages.debian.org/lenny/gpart
which available through apt as well. He could also download the package to portable media and install using dpkg.
-

Originally Posted by
rusty
I down loaded it from that actual site but I can't get it to install for some reason. when I cd into the folder and run make It comes back with a bunch of errors whick I have no clue how to decipher.
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/gpart01$ su
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix/gpart01# make
make -C src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/knoppix/gpart01/src'
gcc -Wall -O2 -pedantic -DVERSION=\"0.1h\" -c -o gmodules.o gmodules.c
gmodules.c:21:19: error: /usr/include/dlfcn.h: Input/output error
gmodules.c: In function 'g_mod_delete':
gmodules.c:60: warning: implicit declaration of function 'dlclose'
gmodules.c: In function 'g_mod_addexternal':
gmodules.c:189: warning: implicit declaration of function 'dlopen'
gmodules.c:189: error: 'RTLD_NOW' undeclared (first use in this function)
gmodules.c:189: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gmodules.c:189: error: for each function it appears in.)
gmodules.c:189: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
gmodules.c:190: warning: implicit declaration of function 'dlerror'
gmodules.c:193: warning: implicit declaration of function 'dlsym'
make[1]: *** [gmodules.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/knoppix/gpart01/src'
make: *** [gpart] Error 2
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix/gpart01#
I followed the instuctions in the Install readme if I understand them correctly:
gpart Compilation and Installation
Up to now a configure script for gpart does not seem necessary,
it should compile under Linux and FreeBSD using GNU cc and GNU
make.
Steps to compile and install:
- change the installation directory prefix "prefix" in the
file "inst.defs". The default is "/usr/local".
- type "make".
- if no errors were encountered, type "make install".
It is a good idea to read the man page before starting to
play around.
I changed prefix to "prefix" perhaps this is incorrect
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you downloaded the .deb you only need to use
Code:
dpkg -i gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb
, or if you have internet acces
Code:
aptitude update && aptitude install gpart
Compilation isnt necessary.
-

Originally Posted by
rusty
If you downloaded the .deb you only need to use
Code:
dpkg -i gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb
, or if you have internet acces
Code:
aptitude update && aptitude install gpart
Compilation isnt necessary.
Thanks for the suggestions but I cant seem to download a gpart .deb file anywhere for the first command and the second one yields these errors:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ su
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# aptitude update && aptitude install gpart
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release.gpg [835B]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release.gpg [835B]
Get:3 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release [40.8kB]
Get:4 http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile Release.gpg [189B]
Err http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org ./ Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org'
Get:5 http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile Release [40.7kB]
Err http://ftp.de.debian.org stable Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.de.debian.org'
Err http://x2go.obviously-nice.de lenny Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'x2go.obviously-nice.de'
Get:6 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release [44.6kB]
Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Get:7 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages [262kB]
Ign http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Get:8 http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile/main Packages [5483B]
Err http://ftp.de.debian.org testing Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.de.debian.org'
Hit http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile/contrib Packages
Hit http://volatile.debian.org stable/volatile/non-free Packages
Err http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.de.debian.org'
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages
Err http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental Release.gpg
Temporary failure resolving 'ftp.de.debian.org'
Fetched 395kB in 1s (283kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No candidate version found for gpart
No candidate version found for gpart
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
-
Senior Member
registered user
Lets try it another way then. In a root terminal type:and then
Code:
dpkg -i gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb
-
Senior Member
registered user
another tool that can recovver lost partitions and the like is testdisk by the way
-

Originally Posted by
OErjan
another tool that can recovver lost partitions and the like is testdisk by the way
testdisk agravates me though. Once you wait on it to scan for an hour then you get to a place where you cant go back and have to do it all over again. I haven't found a way back from that point if there is one.
-
Yahoo!

Originally Posted by
rusty
Lets try it another way then. In a root terminal type:
and then
Code:
dpkg -i gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb
Thanks I couldn't get it with wget for some reason-
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# wget http//ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gpart/gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb
--2010-01-31 08:38:59-- http://http//ftp.us.debian.org/debia...h-4.1_i386.deb
Resolving http... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address `http'
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
but I manually found found the .deb and opened it with debi package installer and now it works.
Similar Threads
-
By ktas in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
-
By OpenIntro in forum General Support
Replies: 17
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 10:49 AM
-
By Baraboo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 02:06 PM
-
By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Lot of 50 Samsung PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM Modules
$8499.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99