Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: gpart

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i do not quite "trust" gpart, mainly cause of the tendency to make wrong diagnosis of large disk geometries, it is slightly unstable above 1024 cylinders (which is quite common today)

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Don't prepend the'http://' with wget

    I had a suspicion, and tried the address given here, w/o the http:// prefix:
    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# wget ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gpart/gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb 
    --2010-02-04 22:48:15--  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool...h-4.1_i386.deb
    Resolving ftp.us.debian.org... 35.9.37.225, 64.50.236.52, 128.30.2.36, ...
    Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org|35.9.37.225|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 36310 (35K) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb'
    
    100%[======================================>] 36,310      45.7K/s   in 0.8s    
    
    2010-02-04 22:48:16 (45.7 KB/s) - `gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb' saved [36310/36310]
    So, nothing wrong with the advice, really. And wget is your friend.

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    i do not quite "trust" gpart, mainly cause of the tendency to make wrong diagnosis of large disk geometries, it is slightly unstable above 1024 cylinders (which is quite common today)

    Is there a better way to recover the partition table? gpart rocked for me on that particular occasion. It might not the next time around. Maybe thats why it isn't included on Knoppix6.2.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    sadly every tool has it's limits, to eliminate errors I use several to get all information I can on the disk first
    smartmontools
    fdisk
    sfdisk
    testdisk

    also I frequently use ddrescue and regular dd with flags conv=noerror,sync to "save" images of drives, it takes forever on large disks but it can save me in long run.
    also I frequently use gzip to compress the image.
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sdaX conv=noerror,sync | gzip -9 > /dev/sdbY/image.gz
    sometimes I have used hex-edit to "rescue" important documents form such drive-images of damaged disks, it can be, uhm challenging but beter than total loss.
    this is a jungle, I have been called by friends and friends of friends... to rescue "crashed" computers for two decades+ and I have only scratched the surface over that time, i have no banks of circuitboards from HDD's (ok a few), no clean rooms... i just try as best i can, if i see i can not do anything i say so and inform them about the more competent alternatives, sadly those come at a cost, some opt for that others not.

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    sadly every tool has it's limits, to eliminate errors I use several to get all information I can on the disk first
    smartmontools
    fdisk
    sfdisk
    testdisk

    also I frequently use ddrescue and regular dd with flags conv=noerror,sync to "save" images of drives, it takes forever on large disks but it can save me in long run.
    also I frequently use gzip to compress the image.
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sdaX conv=noerror,sync | gzip -9 > /dev/sdbY/image.gz
    sometimes I have used hex-edit to "rescue" important documents form such drive-images of damaged disks, it can be, uhm challenging but beter than total loss.
    this is a jungle, I have been called by friends and friends of friends... to rescue "crashed" computers for two decades+ and I have only scratched the surface over that time, i have no banks of circuitboards from HDD's (ok a few), no clean rooms... i just try as best i can, if i see i can not do anything i say so and inform them about the more competent alternatives, sadly those come at a cost, some opt for that others not.

    Will dd work when you cant actually see that the hard drive exists with fdisk, df, or blkid?

  6. #16
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: Yahoo!

    Quote Originally Posted by sbininit
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Lets try it another way then. In a root terminal type:and then
    Code:
    dpkg -i gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb

    Thanks I couldn't get it with wget for some reason-


    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# wget http//ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gpart/gpart_0.1h-4.1_i386.deb
    --2010-01-31 08:38:59-- http://http//ftp.us.debian.org/debia...h-4.1_i386.deb
    Resolving http... failed: Name or service not known.
    wget: unable to resolve host address `http'
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#


    but I manually found found the .deb and opened it with debi package installer and now it works.
    Hey-

    note the extra http here: http://http//ftp.us.debian.org/ - happens all the time, IMHO

    -Krishna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. gpart utility: Can't access USB Hard Drive
    By ktas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
  2. gpart help?
    By OpenIntro in forum General Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
  3. Trying to fixi FAT32 drive with gpart
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 10:49 AM
  4. I need help using gpart
    By Baraboo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 02:06 PM
  5. messed up partitiontable -help with gpart
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99