Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Epiphany web browser instead of IceApe for certain apps.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33

    Epiphany web browser instead of IceApe for certain apps.

    Please make no mistake about this.
    I like ICEAPE and have used it regularly since I installed Knoppix.
    However, I have particular requirements for a browser in terms of my line of work, in that on a semi-regular basis videos of a varity of types are sent to me to view and in probably 1 of fifty situations the particular vid is not viewable.

    I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to configure IceApe for this and have met with little success.

    AGAIN, IceApe is a fine browser and will suit the needs of probably 99 percent of users and it was a wise choice by the developers.

    However, fo those who have run up against a situation similar to mine, i would very simply recommend going to Synaptic and downloading the Epiphany web browser, version 2.22.3.

    To do this I would recommend that you enter the term "browser" in search, and then, labouriously admittedly, slowly go down through the rather long listing of many UNrelated items, and install all plugins etc. you don't need the developer files etc. that are available. This is a Gnome browser so you should also install Gnome browser related plugins also.

    Epiphany is rather plain vanilla in it's presentation.

    I really like the whole way that IceApe does searches etc. and will continue to use it regularly, but Epiphany does play the random video that IceApe does not play.

    Again, kudos to the developers for inclusion of IceApe, it has a lot of distinct advantages in how it does things over other browsers.

    woodsmoke

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33
    sorry I forgot to mention, I installed the GNASH SWF viewer, there is also GNASH for KDE depending on your preferences.
    woodsmoke

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke
    sorry I forgot to mention, I installed the GNASH SWF viewer, there is also GNASH for KDE depending on your preferences.
    woodsmoke
    Thanks, I'll try GNASH SWF viewer - the regular Flash viewer crashes constantly on my laptop, which only has 512 MB RAM. Do I need to uninstall the nonfree version?

    -Krishna

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33
    Hi Krishna
    I really don't know. However, I did NOT uninstall it, so would assume that one does not need to uninstall it.
    woodsmoke

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke
    Hi Krishna
    I really don't know. However, I did NOT uninstall it, so would assume that one does not need to uninstall it.
    woodsmoke
    Hey, "smoky" (no offense, just kidding around)-

    Is there any way to specify which will be used when going to an embedded flash-type site (like Hulu?)

    Krishna

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33
    Hi
    well, folks have called me worse.....lots worse!

    as to picking one, not that i know of. I don't use HULU, so I can't speak to it specifically.

    I'm kinda just running full tilt with this so... i'm no expert on Knoppix.

    woodsmoke

Similar Threads

  1. no browser HELP!!!
    By giannitsa in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 03:03 AM
  2. Tip To Use Konqueror As Your Browser
    By sakiZ in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 02:49 AM
  3. C KDE APPS and C apps printing unix commands
    By dvryknopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
  4. Cannot use WWW Browser
    By fogcat in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
  5. Browser Plugins
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 04:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Vintage Dell Latitude D600 Retro Laptop Includes accessories picture

Vintage Dell Latitude D600 Retro Laptop Includes accessories

$199.99



Digital Equipment DEC RT101 PS/2 Vintage Keyboard Tested picture

Digital Equipment DEC RT101 PS/2 Vintage Keyboard Tested

$24.95



Microsoft Windows 98 Keyboard Unused Condition New With Original Box Vintage picture

Microsoft Windows 98 Keyboard Unused Condition New With Original Box Vintage

$59.99



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts picture

ASUS A7V333 Vintage Motherboard | Untested | For Parts

$44.89