-
black screen no graphical program menu shell startx not work
Black screen, no graphical programs in menu, shell startx not work, upgrade got kde, sudo init 1, sudo init 5
WOAH!! How cool is this!
I reinstalled Knoppix on top (over the previous install) and...............
EVERYTHING IS STILL THERE!!!! I mean.........EVERYTHING!!!
This on a Toshiba Satellite laptop L35 with Knoppix the sole install on the hard drive.
Here is what happened.
I saw that there were a bunch of updates, 94 to be exact. So I decided to do the updates.
I've run into this before with other distros, the updates gave me plain vanilla KDE instead of the original community version.
I THINK that the way to NOT get plain vanilla KDE...... I THINK......if someone has further information PLEASE POST IT is.....
There, were, I think, five places where, after the download of the updates, that I was asked if I wanted to “keep the old ” or "use the new”.
KEEP THE ORIGINAL. At least I....think.....that is what you should do, it worked with an Ubuntu distro.
It may be that there are only a couple of those that really affect things dunno...if someone knows please post. It might save a few posts from frustrated people! 
But, here are the problems caused by the “updates”:
a) I lost “graphical programs” in the original menu.
b) “startx” in shell started the OS, I could see the desktop for a few seconds, and then it fell back to the “black screen”.
I couldn't get past the black screen, there were a lot of commands there but I couldn't get anything to work.
So, I got on another computer and found a thread that was a reply to a similar situation.
At the prompt type:
sudo init 1
hit enter
then
sudo init 5
hit enter.
This will then boot the system. However, I was in “KDE”. All of the apps and my stuff was there but no Compiz. I restarted Compiz with the mouse but then found that the keyboard was not working.
And, no matter what I did, using the keyboard function in the menu etc. I couldn't get the keyboard to work.
HOWEVER the thing about getting to this situation is that you could insert a usb flash drive, and with right click, copy and past your data into the flash drive. Somewhat tedious but doable.
Well, I keep all of my “current” data on both the machine and a usb flash drive so recovering the data, in and of itself, was not a problem.
However, I was kinda irritated about losing my tweaks! 
So, I did a reinstall and.....
WOAH!!!! GOT THE WHOLE SYSTEM BACK, the tweaks, the data, all of it
HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!
Great Job Knoppix developers!!!!!
Again, if anyone has information to add please do so.
woodhavingfunsmoke
Similar Threads
-
By Blether in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 01:13 AM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-05-2004, 03:51 AM
-
By ykhov in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 05:11 PM
-
By knulle in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:03 PM
-
By rsheridan6 in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB
$1319.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3B1 Micron 32GB (1x32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2400T DDR4 Server Memory
$220.00

32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM
$1099.00

Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB
$138.99

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM
$74.50