In the directory /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ you can see several keyboard layouts for dvorak. At the boot prompt you could try the cheatcode
Code:knoppix keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
My father uses Knoppix to fix his Windows computer -- or to use when his Window computer is down. He's been using an older version I sent him a couple years ago, but he has another Windows problem and I thought I would send him the newest Knoppix. Good grief, there have been a lot of changes since I last tried Knoppix -- it all seems to work great on this computer (Optiplex GX270, 2.8 Ghz CPU with 764 Meg of RAM) -- even the Compiz. Which surprised me, since I've just got the standard Intel graphics chip.
But I have a problem (of course -- sorry). My dad uses the Dvorak keyboard. The old Knoppix made it very easy to change to Dvorak -- the newer version, not quite as easy. (Heck, I haven't even been able to figure how to change the time yet.) Can someone point me to the application necessary to make this keyboard change?
Thanks. Knoppix is amazing. I'm going to experiment with it and see if I can get it on a flash drive.
RonB
In the directory /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ you can see several keyboard layouts for dvorak. At the boot prompt you could try the cheatcode
Code:knoppix keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
Thanks, that looks like it does it -- getting the Dvorak keyboard anyhow -- but it seems to change the default language to German? (Does that make sense?)Originally Posted by klaus2008
You probably downloaded the Knoppix CD with german as the default language. You can change the language by using the lang=us cheatcode.
Alternatively you could download KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-EN.iso with english as the default language. Then you only have to apply the cheatcodes mentioned earlier.Code:knoppix lang=us keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
No, I've got the English ISO -- it comes up with English when I don't use cheat codes. I may have just gone to the wrong Knoppix site somehow. I don't know how to get around with the Dvorak, I'm just testing this for my Dad.Originally Posted by klaus2008
At any rate, it'll work either way. Either my Dad will have to use the lang=us or he won't.
Thanks very much.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping
$54.99