Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dvorak Keyboard in 6.2 [SOLVED]

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3

    Dvorak Keyboard in 6.2 [SOLVED]

    My father uses Knoppix to fix his Windows computer -- or to use when his Window computer is down. He's been using an older version I sent him a couple years ago, but he has another Windows problem and I thought I would send him the newest Knoppix. Good grief, there have been a lot of changes since I last tried Knoppix -- it all seems to work great on this computer (Optiplex GX270, 2.8 Ghz CPU with 764 Meg of RAM) -- even the Compiz. Which surprised me, since I've just got the standard Intel graphics chip.

    But I have a problem (of course -- sorry). My dad uses the Dvorak keyboard. The old Knoppix made it very easy to change to Dvorak -- the newer version, not quite as easy. (Heck, I haven't even been able to figure how to change the time yet.) Can someone point me to the application necessary to make this keyboard change?

    Thanks. Knoppix is amazing. I'm going to experiment with it and see if I can get it on a flash drive.

    RonB

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    In the directory /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ you can see several keyboard layouts for dvorak. At the boot prompt you could try the cheatcode
    Code:
    knoppix keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008
    In the directory /usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ you can see several keyboard layouts for dvorak. At the boot prompt you could try the cheatcode
    Code:
    knoppix keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
    Thanks, that looks like it does it -- getting the Dvorak keyboard anyhow -- but it seems to change the default language to German? (Does that make sense?)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    You probably downloaded the Knoppix CD with german as the default language. You can change the language by using the lang=us cheatcode.
    Code:
    knoppix lang=us keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
    Alternatively you could download KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-EN.iso with english as the default language. Then you only have to apply the cheatcodes mentioned earlier.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008
    You probably downloaded the Knoppix CD with german as the default language. You can change the language by using the lang=us cheatcode.
    Code:
    knoppix lang=us keyboard=dvorak xkeyboard=dvorak
    Alternatively you could download KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-EN.iso with english as the default language. Then you only have to apply the cheatcodes mentioned earlier.
    No, I've got the English ISO -- it comes up with English when I don't use cheat codes. I may have just gone to the wrong Knoppix site somehow. I don't know how to get around with the Dvorak, I'm just testing this for my Dad.

    At any rate, it'll work either way. Either my Dad will have to use the lang=us or he won't.

    Thanks very much.

Similar Threads

  1. Dvorak Cheatcode
    By Kowood in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 09:08 AM
  2. Making The Switch To Dvorak
    By Kowood in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 12:23 PM
  3. [SOLVED] keyboard and touchpad do not work on Dell9300
    By wanger123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
  4. Wacom Tablet and Dvorak KB
    By WaldoPepper in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 05:46 PM
  5. [solved] swedish keyboard problems
    By lost in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 07:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS A68HM-K FM2+ MicroATX AMD DDR3 2DIMM HDMI/DVI/VGA USB 3.0 picture

ASUS A68HM-K FM2+ MicroATX AMD DDR3 2DIMM HDMI/DVI/VGA USB 3.0

$50.00



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99