-
Re: One more question

Originally Posted by
Capricorny

Originally Posted by
dmiller2651
Thanks for the help Capri and Harry. I'll go grap a flash drive with at least 2GB of space. The one more question is do you know why the computer freezes when running Knoppix? It happens when I try to close a window and not everytime I close a window. Sometimes its the first time I close a window and sometimes it could be the 8th window. What I'm trying to say is that you never know when it will freeze Knoppix but it always does at some point.
Install Knoppix on a flash drive. Having more than a couple of windows open when running from the CD/DVD is certainly a very bad idea. Much of working memory is then reserved for ramdisks, and Linux uses a relatively aggressive strategy for keeping memory busy, caching. For instance, right now on my 2GB system running from flash, with some 9 windows open, 1.16 GB of 1.61 GB total memory in use is used for caching. With less caching, performance drops.
And if you run a browser with scripts allowed globally, you may be on the edge of freezing regardless of configuration or system resources thrown at those scripts.
Thanks for all the help so far. I need to get back to the original solution of moving the Knoppix to a flash drive. I bought a 4GB flash drive and on the way home from Best Buy I remembered what you said about booting from the flash drive after installing Knoppix to it. I've been in the bios before and did not remember seeing the option to boot from that type of device so before I opened the package I went and looked and there are but 3 options and they are CD, Floppy, and HD. I've contacted Sony support about whether it's possible to boot from a flash drive and they've been absolutely no help. I told them what I'm trying to do and they thought I was trying to run 2 OS's and they would not support that. We've traded emails several times and I've told them I just want to get my data off the HD. So far they've been useless.
I think what I'll do is take the 4GB back and get a 8GB and try to get everything on that. I suppose I'll loose all my emails in Outlook right?
Again, thanks for the help.
David
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Unfortunately, not all BIOSes support booting from flash drive. I even have an HP notebook with an option in the BIOS to "boot from USB" that will not boot a flash drive, yet a newer HP notebook with a "boot from USB" BIOS option will boot the same flash drive.
This is another reason that I don't put much faith in the idea that one should have to convert a Knoppix CD to a flash drive and then install more stuff in order to do a simple file recovery.
If you have problems booting that flash drive, consider just reformatting it as a FT drive and copying the files that you want to it.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Unfortunately, not all BIOSes support booting from flash drive. I even have an HP notebook with an option in the BIOS to "boot from USB" that will not boot a flash drive, yet a newer HP notebook with a "boot from USB" BIOS option will boot the same flash drive.
This is another reason that I don't put much faith in the idea that one should have to convert a Knoppix CD to a flash drive and then install more stuff in order to do a simple file recovery.
If you have problems booting that flash drive, consider just reformatting it as a FT drive and copying the files that you want to it.
I did not convert the Knoppix CD to the flash drive yet because I thought I might want to take it back and swap it for a larger size in case the only option would be to copy my files to it.
When I plug it in just to copy files from my HD, do I have to format it first?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
dmiller2651
When I plug it in just to copy files from my HD, do I have to format it first?
No, it will come pre-formatted with a FAT format.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
dmiller2651
When I plug it in just to copy files from my HD, do I have to format it first?
No, it will come pre-formatted with a FAT format.
I looked at the Sandisk web site of the flash drive brand I bought (Cruzer model) and it does not support Linux. Does that mean I will not be able to copy my windows file to the flash drive?
Similar Threads
-
By nofsystem in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
-
By chiram in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
-
By strtt in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-09-2005, 06:44 PM
-
By Miksch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
-
By CAKochenash in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Grade A Dell OptiPlex 3050 Mini PC Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Desktop
$189.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$125.96

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 Desktop CPU Processor
$355.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

LCD Issues HP EliteBook 850 G8 Laptop Intel Core i7-1185G7 3GHz 16GB 256GB SSD
$177.00

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS
$199.99