Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: wireless config

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2

    wireless config

    I'm running Knoppix 5.2 DVD version and trying to get wireless working. My card, which is Intell 5100AGN is detected fine, but I have not been able to connect to the gateway.

    My AP settings are:

    SSID hidden
    wpa2-psk
    AES

    I have tried wlcardconfig, but the 'edit selection' button on Encryption does nothing.

    I tried the network-admin applet on the Preferences menu, but it doesn't match the help file - the connections tab and location dropdown are missing.

    I did some fiddling with wpa_supplicant but I'm not sure how to configure it. I am able to scan for available APs, but I'm not too sure how to connect.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: wireless config

    Quote Originally Posted by thelawnet
    I'm running Knoppix 5.2 DVD version and trying to get wireless working. My card, which is Intell 5100AGN is detected fine, but I have not been able to connect to the gateway.

    My AP settings are:

    SSID hidden
    wpa2-psk
    AES

    I have tried wlcardconfig, but the 'edit selection' button on Encryption does nothing.

    I tried the network-admin applet on the Preferences menu, but it doesn't match the help file - the connections tab and location dropdown are missing.

    I did some fiddling with wpa_supplicant but I'm not sure how to configure it. I am able to scan for available APs, but I'm not too sure how to connect.
    I will suggest turn off the wpa2 first to perform a wireless connection test before going further. If it turns out successful, then continue testing with wpa2.

    Please review Q11 on the following link to see if you can establish a wireless connection from your pc to the AP.

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

    If not, read through Q2,3,11,12,13 and try it out one by one.

    Good luck

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2
    I found I had to stop network-manager as it would overwrite my changes

    But then although I was able to connect, it was only briefly, before iwconfig went back to Access Point "Not Associated"

    So I give up.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by thelawnet
    I found I had to stop network-manager as it would overwrite my changes

    But then although I was able to connect, it was only briefly, before iwconfig went back to Access Point "Not Associated"

    So I give up.
    Too bad. There may be some kind of auto-restarting going on there, I experienced something similar with 6.0.1.
    Should be a way to turn that off, if that is the problem.

    Tried with 6.X versions?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    1

    AP not assoc but assoc then deauthenticates, essid scramble

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by thelawnet
    I found I had to stop network-manager as it would overwrite my changes

    But then although I was able to connect, it was only briefly, before iwconfig went back to Access Point "Not Associated"

    So I give up.
    Too bad. There may be some kind of auto-restarting going on there, I experienced something similar with 6.0.1.
    Should be a way to turn that off, if that is the problem.

    Tried with 6.X versions?
    I have basically the same issue with 6.2.1 cd/dvd with the exception of my ESSID scrambled? when I issue the ifconfig -a command.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"p\xE9>\xA1A\xE1\xFCg>\x01~\x97\xEA\xDCk\x96 \x8F8\*\xEC\xB0;\xFB2\xAF<T\xEC\x18\xDB\"

    wlan0 authenticates, associates, then deauthenticates, reported via dmesg.

    I too have WPA2(AES enc) on a Netgear router WPN824v3; wifi Zyxel G302v3. Both capable of WPA/WPA2.
    My nic cards work with Knoppix.

    With Wicd, it has told me I have a bad password .. lol. Tell that to the two windows boxes that connect and have wifi internet access. Seems it wants to connect through IPv6.

    Still diggin' though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by thelawnet
    I found I had to stop network-manager as it would overwrite my changes

    But then although I was able to connect, it was only briefly, before iwconfig went back to Access Point "Not Associated"

    So I give up.
    Before you gave up, can you provide what you have done in detail steps. Nobody can help you if you just say it is not working. We don't even know if your steps are correct or not.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Help config VIAO wireless.
    By digig0th in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
  2. brief wireless config tutorial please
    By tony_c in forum Laptops
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 12:36 PM
  3. Wireless config not being loaded from saved config.
    By Legless_Marine in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 04:13 AM
  4. no wireless from saved config
    By puggled in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 04:10 PM
  5. dlink dwl-520 wireless config help please
    By imipolex in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco WS-X4748-UPOE+E Catalyst 4500E 48 Port UPoE 10/100/1000 Switch - fast Ship picture

Cisco WS-X4748-UPOE+E Catalyst 4500E 48 Port UPoE 10/100/1000 Switch - fast Ship

$39.98



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G 2 Port Network Exp Module for 3850 picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G 2 Port Network Exp Module for 3850

$16.99



2 PACK Cisco AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 Aironet 2802 Series Dual Band Access Point picture

2 PACK Cisco AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 Aironet 2802 Series Dual Band Access Point

$19.85



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99