-
Junior Member
registered user
I think the best thing to do is to copy the KNOPPIX-DATA directory, since that neatly isolates all the personal files. Just be careful: there are a lot of sneaky dot-files in there that probably shouldn't be tarred. I haven't had a chance to explore that further.
All I know is I tried to use Klaus's method and it only partially, I suspect when it hit one of the weird-looking aufs dot-files. So I tried a different tar without them (I did this by using two computers, one with the old image and one with the new one, making the old one an NFS server with /KNOPPIX-DATA exported, then copying all of it to a mount point on the computer running the new image, then copying that into my home directory as "knoppix" which prevented me from copying files that shouldn't be copied. In retrospect it probably would have worked just as well if I'd just moved the data on the old image to the old image's home directory [which would skip the problematic files], tarred it up and transferred it to the new image). But instead of using Klaus's method I used the "-b debug" cheatcodes and executed the command myself to see what would happen. There were no errors and the files were moved properly. I'll try it again with some of the problem files in the .tar and without them using Klaus's method when I have some time to spend testing.
Similar Threads
-
By greenfly in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
-
By hotplainrice in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-02-2006, 11:02 PM
-
By linuxman in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-10-2005, 11:47 PM
-
By rwcitek in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2005, 08:37 PM
-
By captain in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage
$199.95

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00