Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Disable auto login in Knoppix 6.2

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    for the interested, I've been able to setup gdm and disabled autologin turning it into a real multi-user system

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    for the interested, I've been able to setup gdm and disabled autologin turning it into a real multi-user system
    Nice!
    Would you care taking diffs of the altered scripts and post/upload them here?

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    I've also altered other stuff so I can't post the patches but what I did was:
    install gdm

    edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfigure:
    I changed
    Code:
    ...
     fi
    }
    
    start_sys(){
    ...
    to
    Code:
    ...
     fi
    }
    start_gdm(){
    addtask "gdm"; addprogress "Starting gnome display manager"
    mkdir /var/log/gdm
    /etc/init.d/gdm start > /dev/tty$LOG_CONSOLE
    }
    start_sys(){
    ...
    and when you scroll a bit lower you'll see
    Code:
    # Start udev now, /dev will be remounted
    checkbootparam "noudev" || start_udev
    
    # Send logging messages to /dev/tty$LOG_CONSOLE. Since we need a socket
    # in /dev, this requires udev to run earlier.
    start_log
    and I added after that
    Code:
    # Attempts to use gdm :p
    start_gdm
    Then in Inittab I have changed runlevel to 3, you already did this and I commented out
    Code:
    # 1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login < /dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
    #1:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
    #2:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
    #3:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1
    #4:12345:respawn:/bin/login </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1
    I don't remember why btw
    and uncommented the getty lines
    Code:
     1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
     2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
     3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
     4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
     5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
     6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
    That should be all, if I forgot something don't shoot me

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Disable auto login in Knoppix 6.2

    This could work.

    Edit /etc/inittab:
    Code:
    # 1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login < /dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
    #1:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
    #2:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
    #3:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1
    #4:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1
    1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
    2:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
    3:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
    4:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
    5:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
    6:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
    
    # X mode
    #x0:5:wait:sleep 2
    #x1:5:respawn:/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx start
    Install a login manager:
    sudo apt-get install xdm

    Edit /etc/rc.local and add this at the end before exit:
    /etc/init.d/xdm start

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    how can one get at least it to ask for root password?
    That is the exact question I've been looking into.
    I'm not going to address using the Knoppix distro as your desktop system
    I gather for reasons, probably beyond me, that Knoppix is not the right distribution for use for running desktop applications on a continual basis. Strangely enough, while ubuntu 11.04 worked find on my desktop, ubuntu 11.10 does not and neither does mint 12. (Both run fine on my laptop) I'm not sure I'm going to solve the issues on my desktop soon, so I I'm looking into knoppix which runs on not only my laptop and desktop, but also runs on an old pre wiindows XP PC that doesn't book with windows anymore.. I'm only one person, so I don't care about multi-user capabilities. I was thinking about Lubuntu (notice the L), but I see that the standard apps - Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP have been replaced by other lighter weight alternates. I just found the debian distro and it might be a possibility - would be interesting to see if latest version runs on my desktop. Seems like I saw someplace that straight debian was not the best for novices, but don't see anything about that in the writeup so maybe that's not true. http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.c...vd-set-pc.html

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Dave View Post
    That is the exact question I've been looking into. I gather for reasons, probably beyond me, that Knoppix is not the right distribution for use for running desktop applications on a continual basis. Strangely enough, while ubuntu 11.04 worked find on my desktop, ubuntu 11.10 does not and neither does mint 12. (Both run fine on my laptop) I'm not sure I'm going to solve the issues on my desktop soon, so I I'm looking into knoppix which runs on not only my laptop and desktop, but also runs on an old pre wiindows XP PC that doesn't book with windows anymore.. I'm only one person, so I don't care about multi-user capabilities. I was thinking about Lubuntu (notice the L), but I see that the standard apps - Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP have been replaced by other lighter weight alternates. I just found the debian distro and it might be a possibility - would be interesting to see if latest version runs on my desktop. Seems like I saw someplace that straight debian was not the best for novices, but don't see anything about that in the writeup so maybe that's not true. http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.c...vd-set-pc.html
    Knoppix is very good for running desktop applications, and in this thread there are presented several alternatives for changing default startup/login settings. Including setting the root password. Personally, I have tended to avoid setting this because there were quite a few problems with it in some contexts in pre-6.0 Knoppix, but it seems to be less problematic now.

    Usually, it is best to try the latest distro to avoid hardware problems - but beware that new bugs/incompatibilities may from time to time be introduced with new releases.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    Cool disabling auto logon with knoppix.

    Hi Zgregoryg,

    Knoppix was my first adventure into linux when the first live cd was created. I have used various distros since and have loved them all. I have just installed 7.2 on my hard disk to see what it can do so thank you for that it works treat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie needs to disable graphical login manager
    By shplad in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
  2. Disable Auto Logon
    By GoP-Demon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 10:25 PM
  4. Auto login as root
    By dodgyville in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 12:38 AM
  5. how to disable the login screen?
    By sgoodall in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99