Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Knoppix isn't Debian. It is based on Debian. And it is a strange mix of different Debian versions that generally cause problems for people who try to install it to a hard disk.
Actually, I experienced few version conflicts when installing/upgrading 6.0.1. 6.2 seems far worse in that respect. For example, I have not been able to install samba server because of conflicts!
But I can't see how this should be such an impossible problem to solve. And conversion utilities for Knoppix 6.2 -> Debian shouldn't be that hard to make.

For now, I think the easiest thing for converting is simply to take the installed package list for Knoppix and use it for Debian. This command will write the current package selection to a file
Code:
 sudo dpkg --get-selections > Desktop/selections_20100210.txt
This list could then be used in/fed to a script for installing. (Currently, I have 1333 packages installed.)