Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: HD file recovery - bad MBR?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1

    HD file recovery - bad MBR?

    Hello,
    I have recently had a Western Digital 500GB DD fail on me. It is only about a year old and it was fairly full. I have been trying to find a way to recover some of the data from it, and have booted to Knoppix 6.2 on a cd.

    From here, I cannot see the drive in the File Manager, and in the Palimsest Disk Utility, I see my good HDDs/Partitins fine, but the broken one shows up as 2199 GB (I wish it was that big, but it's only actually 500), and it says "SMART not available" and where the partition info would be it sows as Unrecognized and not Partitioned. I have the option to create a partition table, but it says that data will be lost, so I have not done that.

    I am very new to my Linux dabbling, and I really don't know where to go from here. I have been searching tese forums, and googling, but have not come up with anything that has helped so far.

    Any pointers would be very very much appreciated, and if you need mroe info, just let em know what you need.

    Oh, also, one other thing - in the Palimpsest Disk Utility, it also shows a whole bunch of other Hard Disks, and Solid-State Disks with unrecognized partitions... I do not know how pertinant that is, but I have no idea what they are supposed to be.

    Thanks for reading this, and advance thanks for any help anyone can offer.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: HD file recovery - bad MBR?

    Do a search for "Hiren's boot CD" and you'll find a number of links; the best download server (or was it a torrent?) was in Thailand. There are a LOT of programs on there, some of which require licenses, at least from a legal standpoint. I had a problem with my NTFS partition that crashed Windows very quickly, and was eventually fixed by an old Microsoft scandisk (which doesn't need a license), but NOT the one on my Winders XP - not sure why they would have "fixed" the program by making it less functional, but that's Microsoft for you.

    Krishna

    Quote Originally Posted by Ixtab
    Hello,
    I have recently had a Western Digital 500GB DD fail on me. It is only about a year old and it was fairly full. I have been trying to find a way to recover some of the data from it, and have booted to Knoppix 6.2 on a cd.

    From here, I cannot see the drive in the File Manager, and in the Palimsest Disk Utility, I see my good HDDs/Partitins fine, but the broken one shows up as 2199 GB (I wish it was that big, but it's only actually 500), and it says "SMART not available" and where the partition info would be it sows as Unrecognized and not Partitioned. I have the option to create a partition table, but it says that data will be lost, so I have not done that.

    I am very new to my Linux dabbling, and I really don't know where to go from here. I have been searching tese forums, and googling, but have not come up with anything that has helped so far.

    Any pointers would be very very much appreciated, and if you need mroe info, just let em know what you need.

    Oh, also, one other thing - in the Palimpsest Disk Utility, it also shows a whole bunch of other Hard Disks, and Solid-State Disks with unrecognized partitions... I do not know how pertinant that is, but I have no idea what they are supposed to be.

    Thanks for reading this, and advance thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Similar Threads

  1. Copy File Transfer Speeds & Stalling [Recovery to USB HD
    By KnoppixNubster in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 02:44 AM
  2. File recovery from NTFS drive using Knoppix 5.0.1
    By Daddymac117 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 01:34 AM
  3. missing user account on a knoppix file recovery attempt
    By bobby_lobby in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
  4. File recovery / File permissions help needed?
    By sepekte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
  5. File recovery from HDD with Windows reinstallation
    By irish_admiral in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$90.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00