-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: re: screensaver and poor man's instal

Originally Posted by
stevesr0
Since disabling the screensaver and leaving the computer on with the lid up (this is a laptop), it hasn't gone into any password protected mode.
On this laptop, I have only NTFS and ext2 (or is it 3?) partitions. I set up a multiboot with Win XP, and three varieties of Puppy Linux following instructions of the Lin N Win project (run by ICPUG, who is a member of the Knoppix fora).
I am interested in adding Knoppix to my multiboot, following the Lin N Win project instructions (or the ones posted on this forum by Gilles Ruymbeke).
This is as I understand it, basically substitutes a hard drive for a CD. I prefer not to have a FAT32 partition on my hard drive, if I don't need one. As long as I can read and writer to an NTFS partition (without compression) using NTFS 3G, I am happy using only NTFS (for a windows OS) and ext3 or ext4 for linux (plus a swap partition).
Steve
Yes, whatever way you disable xscreensaver, you avoid the password problem. Whether or not you shut the lid - if no new bugs have been introduced in 6.2.1 
The "common wisdom" still strongly advises against writing to NTFS partitions from Linux. One of the reasons seems to be that NTFS is a moving target, so you have no guarantee against subtle errors introduced, for example with new Service Packs. I just follow that advice, and always use FAT32 as common ground for Windows and Linux. That is guaranteed to work without much problems, but if mounting NTFS rw works for you, that's of course simpler.
I have always the computer set up for multiboot, with GRUB, but so far, I have not felt any need to integrate Knoppix in that. One important reason is that I have been running several Knoppix versions in parallel, because of different problems with each release. In fact, 6.2.1 is the first candidate for a very long time to become the only Knoppix in use.
Edit 20100218:
Instead of writing another post, I put it here: Most of the version conflicts in 6.2.1 are eliminated by just dropping the 'stable' repositories: Basic as well as updates. That may seem counter-intuitive, but should not give much problems for Knoppix' intended use. 'Stable' in Debian is really stable.. So it's becoming an even stronger candidate for me.
Similar Threads
-
By paradocs in forum News
Replies: 22
Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
-
By PaulM2008 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-01-2009, 04:34 AM
-
By tearinghairout in forum The Lounge
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
-
By fm78 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By mikehallsted in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 03:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00