-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
I think many longtime Knoppix users may not be fully aware that the latest CD/DVD versions aren't really optimized for CD/DVD, they must be installed on writable media to work really well. When that is done, usual Debian packages will mostly work, but it may be a bit of a hassle to get all versions right. Everything I have tried with 6.2.1 has succeeded.
. I really do like 6.2.1 I miss being able to flatten out the terminal as in the 5xx series to make room for more windows. In fact I kept my default term about 2.5 inchs tall and two inches wider. I miss the desktop pager. Every time you open a new window in 6.2.1 it covers up the Knoppix folder, Root Terminal and Documents folder and I find myself dragging them out of the way regularly. I guess your supposed to hit th flip button. I love the way it mounts its file systems now, with a considerable amount of freedom to create new folders and move things around a little. Click to mount and go right to work in the terminal. Hit df to see where things are mounted. It seems like the older system aways occupied cdrom no matter what you did. Now you have sr0 for cd's. Another plus. The noppix-data.img inside the KNOPPIX folder is definitely an improvement. I understand you can burn it to cd with the knoppix-data image inside and boot the cd and it will work. I remember on 5 series many times not being able to write to the hard drive that KNOPPIX was mounted on because you couldn't unmount it to make it writeable. 5.1 barely fit on the second partition of my usb and the knoppix.img was mounted on the first so I couldn't even correct my grub menu while booted into it. I think if the 5xx series had had a free to write system it would have been more appealing even today. I still love the 5 series but I think the developers are heading in the right direction. The only real issue I have had with 6.2.1 is no available loop to mount an image on. But I found the answer to it hear on Knoppix forums. Love it, love it.
Similar Threads
-
By paradocs in forum News
Replies: 22
Last Post: 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
-
By PaulM2008 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-01-2009, 04:34 AM
-
By tearinghairout in forum The Lounge
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 11:27 AM
-
By fm78 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:22 PM
-
By mikehallsted in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 03:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55