Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need to run sh script as root at startup (SOLVED)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    Need to run sh script as root at startup (SOLVED)

    I am running knoppix 6.2 on ibm thinkpad x40 which has a trackpoint and I found some commands which enable the sensitivity of the trackpoint and I placed them in sh script file but I have to run it with sudo and I dont know how to autoexecut it at startup so I dont have to enter it manually every time I start knoppix. Here are the commands in my trackpoint.sh file:

    echo -n 1 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/press_to_select
    echo -n 170 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/speed
    echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/sensitivity

    I just need to run trackpoint.sh as root at startup automatically. And I have one more question I am not able to change the window decoration bar on top of the windows. All that lxde appearance does is to change the scroll bars and menu colors. Thanks everyone for the help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Have you tried either to append these commands to /etc/rc.local, or having that script call trackpoint.sh?
    Looks like typical init stuff to me. Outside startup, I think it's just to prepend "sudo" to the commands in a script you want to execute with root privileges, at least it seems so to me.

    As for decorations - LXDE is lightweight, but I think you have some choices. The first thing to check is to see what Compiz does - if you use that. Think the window headers all went away when I chose "no window decorations" in Compiz setup..

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I just tryed to append the commandsin rc.local as you advised me, but it did not work. Even to call the script has to be with root privileges and I dont know how to do it. I am newbiein linux- trying to learn. As for compiz I run knoppix with no3d option because compiz crashes constantly on my laptop for some reason, and I like it without compiz anyway.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    SOLVED

    Thank you so much for the great help I mistakenly appended the commands after the exit command in rc.loacal - I fixed it up and it worked now I have my trackpoint auto starting

    THANK YOU Capricorny

Similar Threads

  1. Autorun Citrix ICA on startup [SOLVED]
    By trondiz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM
  2. Boot startup solved
    By WaKa in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 12:57 AM
  3. how do I run a script on startup
    By monkeyking in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM
  4. Need help with startup script.
    By obsoleto in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
  5. Startup Script doesn't run
    By orcslayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$245.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50