-
Junior Member
registered user
re: USB (flash or hd) install - Why can't ext2 or ext3 FS be
I am unclear why an install to a USB device (flash or HD) requires the drive to be formatted as a FAT FS rather than a native Linux type.
Appreciate the reason for this.
Thanks
Steve
-
Junior Member
registered user
BUMP: See previous post
I am puzzled by the need to use a vfat filesystem for a linux install.
I want to do a USB install of 6.2.1 and just boot from the usb.
My BIOS allows booting from USB, so I am unclear why vfat is required, rather than using ext2 or ext3.
I have searched for answers on the web and have drawn a blank.
If one has a Linux install as the only OS on a hard drive, we obviously expect to be able to boot it without making a vfat partition (or am I showing my gross ignorance).
Thanks in advance.
Steve
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ah - I learned the reason.
Well, I finally thought to look at the SYSLINUX project and apparently the reason why a vFat partition type is required is because that's what SYSLINUX uses.
However, the project also provides a similar bootloader designed for ext2/ext3 partition types.
So, my question is - has anyone substituted EXTLINUX for SYSLINUX in their USB install in order to obtain support for ext2/ext3 as the bootable partition (or do people simply use a big enough USB stick to make a second partition of ext2/3 type?)
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user
Why bother?
No, you don't have to boot off a FAT32 partition to run Knoppix. I have posted one simple example of using GRUB here, so you don't really have to go into the syslinux FAT32-booting stuff at all.
I think that way is much simpler than making a version with ext2/3 syslinux, but you must have a way of installing GRUB. I just used an existing HD install, Mandriva, but it could really be just about any distro.
Because Knoppix consists of 1+ loop/cloop-mounted image files, with ext2 file systems on them, what kind of file system those files are installed on doesn't really matter much. To me, it seems rather irrelevant. There are several good reasons for keeping them on a partition distinct from ordinary Unix user data, and there is hardly one very good reason for mixing. The space requirements are fixed at setup time, so you don't have to waste a lot of space on a FAT32 partition. Typically, you could set up a 16 GB stick with an 8.5GB FAT32 for the DVD cloop KNOPPIX image and persistent user data, and a 7.5 GB ext3 for the "rest". You could make the ext3 partition bootable, install GRUB and boot the KNOPPIX image from there. GRUB's space requirements are modest.
There is another very good reason for operating with more than one partition: With the present setup, there can be at most on KNOPPIX structure per partition, and there are many reasons to be able to have several KNOPPIX versions available. For example, the new bugs introduced with a new release might force you to have an older version available.
-
Junior Member
registered user
More on a USB flash bootable drive without FAT32
I just used the TinyCoreLinux USB installer which allows an ext format only partition as an option.
Since I was only interested in booting one OS from the flash drive, I didn't need grub at all.
The auto install program uses the syslinux program designed for linux formats (extlinux).
So, I guess (??) that knoppix could be installed to a bootable USB flash drive without a FATformatted partition.
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: More on a USB flash bootable drive without FAT32

Originally Posted by
stevesr0
....
Since I was only interested in booting one OS from the flash drive, I didn't need grub at all.
....
So, I guess (??) that knoppix could be installed to a bootable USB flash drive without a FATformatted partition.
You have already the answer: Yes, and in several ways. GRUB is fine also with just one OS to boot. The extX vs of syslinux is surely also very OK, but I can't see why not just use GRUB when you have an adequate file system installed. Syslinux is kind of "poor man's boot" to me, and the greater generality of GRUB doesn't really add to the complexity in use, cfr the way I boot my everyday Knoppix install with GRUB. As far as I have understood, the FAT32 requirement is because of syslinux - and if it isn't, that should surely be fixed ASAP.
Perhaps a sensible thing to do, is to provide two options for installling Knoppix to flash: The FAT32 way, with syslinux, and a linux fs way, which I would prefer to use GRUB. It is both a principal and practical thing for me: Why not use a universal loader when it doesn't cost more? And practically: One less bootloader to learn about. But there may be command line restrictions with GRUB - think there should be a way around them, though,
It would be interesting if you could make a comparison between the "extlinux" and GRUB approaches.
Similar Threads
-
By TheChemist187 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM
-
By Forcemaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
-
By hamatoma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:11 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-28-2003, 05:47 AM
-
By gwylion in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 03:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99