Try pressing F2 (without any extras like Ctrl- or Alt- ) - that will stop the countdown to auto-boot.Originally Posted by topcat
I have a problem with knoppix booting on two Dell computers, they load showing much of the boot scripts but finish with a black screen. After searching these pages I've learned about cheat-codes to try at the boot-command prompt.
My trouble is that I never see a prompt - or am required to press [Enter] to continue boot. This is ver. 6.x.x and on the computers it has worked on, It just cranks right on through to the GUI desktop.
I keep trying combinations of [Alt-Fx] or [Ctrl-Alt-Fx] (yes just trying all the function keys). This takes a loooonnng time and I keep coming back to search for info here. I did get some run levels and a root terminal screen but no command line.
Some notes found here:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Syslinux_bootprompt
The syslinux bootprompt is a visual command line prompt that appears right after the host computer has started knoppix from the CD or other media. The syslinux bootprompt allows you to put in Cheat Codes.
It looks like this:
boot>Please, at what point in boot sequence is the command line accessed? How do you interrupt boot loading to get a cheat-code submitted?The rapid rabbit start-up that makes it nearly impossible to do cheat-codes, not nice.
Try pressing F2 (without any extras like Ctrl- or Alt- ) - that will stop the countdown to auto-boot.Originally Posted by topcat
Thanks,
When pressing F2 it would open the Dell system BIOS. Had previously used this to set CD as #1 in boot priority.. when exiting BIOS screens it continues to boot knoppix to a black screen.
At the point where it says "Hit Enter to boot" you should able hit any key on the keyboard to end the timeout, whereupon you'll have more time to read the directions on-screen.Originally Posted by topcat
![]()
I've had no luck getting to the shell with Ctrl-Alt-Fx when I'm in the GUI.![]()
If I do an init 2 I can then use those key-combos, but I've already got a command line, too. This used to work...
Krishna

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00
Dell PowerEdge R640 Server 2.10Ghz 32-Core 64GB RAM Startup
$763.95
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99