Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Help and Configuration for v6.2

  1. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    I agree, re: the cause of the mount; in fact I mentioned that as the probable cause.

    I disagree, re: automounting without warning. I've made extensive use of the r/w auto-mounted NTFS drive with only minor problems, and never any data loss not caused by me. The worst problem I had is when usage went beyond a certain threshold, it maxed out processor usage and sometimes forced me to shut it down with the power switch "Grand warnings" would frighten people for no good reason IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by garaden
    Krishna, that /dev/sda1 mount's probably from the cheat code, not from the OS. The device containing the Knoppix files (either the Live CD or the fromhd= device) is always mounted at /mnt-system as far as I can tell (apparently that directory used to be called /cd-rom before USB and HDD boots became common). That is, if you're able to mount it at all >_< (see my own thread of distress!)

    That said, I don't know enough about GNOME to figure out why it's mounting everything at startup (sounds like a "just works"/windows copycat feature), but if you want tight control over filesystems I feel like the command line's the best way to do it, HelpPleas. I know that's kind of a cop-out since GUI functionality existed in the past, but honestly I prefer the command line myself for delicate work. It's less intuitive than the GUI but once you get used to it the extra control is well worth it, especially for things like this where the default GUI behavior is not what you want. Once you know what you want better than the GUI does, it's definitely time to "trust yourself"
    I completely agree. And I think we have at least two serious bugs from this thread, if reports are correct:

    1. Auto-mounting rw (PCman/GNOME)
    2. Mounting NTFS rw without grand warnings - even if it is just to rw-access the persistent image.

    I think both should be fixed. RO-mounting is an entirely different issue - doing that automatically is fine with me, even though I prefer a somewhat more lazy system. PCman could be set up with reasonable defaults, I think.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    ....
    I disagree, re: automounting without warning. I've made extensive use of the r/w auto-mounted NTFS drive with only minor problems, and never any data loss not caused by me. The worst problem I had is when usage went beyond a certain threshold, it maxed out processor usage and sometimes forced me to shut it down with the power switch "Grand warnings" would frighten people for no good reason IMHO.
    ....
    OK, this was Windows... NT4,2000,XP,Vista,7? It's all 'NTFS', and I don't know if that example you give is not something that should warrant a warning. But 'grand', that may be a bit too much - at least if most users have experiences similar to yours. I just wonder why it is not more broadly recommended if it is as safe as you experience?

  3. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    ....
    I disagree, re: automounting without warning. I've made extensive use of the r/w auto-mounted NTFS drive with only minor problems, and never any data loss not caused by me. The worst problem I had is when usage went beyond a certain threshold, it maxed out processor usage and sometimes forced me to shut it down with the power switch "Grand warnings" would frighten people for no good reason IMHO.
    ....
    OK, this was Windows... NT4,2000,XP,Vista,7? It's all 'NTFS', and I don't know if that example you give is not something that should warrant a warning. But 'grand', that may be a bit too much - at least if most users have experiences similar to yours. I just wonder why it is not more broadly recommended if it is as safe as you experience?
    It's XP SP3, when it's not knoppix. Not sure, but it might be due to OLD problems, or maybe the problems I experienced would have been worse for others.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I have just looked a little bit around, and it seems that using ntfs-3g for writing may now be considered acceptably safe. I don't think the Open SUSE wiki entry, http://en.opensuse.org/NTFS , which has been recently edited and reviewed, would have recommended it , also for ordinary users, otherwise. SUSE is much focused on interoperability. But they advise against mounting damaged systems rw.

    From the descriptions of NTFS 3.1, it seems that changes with new OS versions mostly have to do with metadata use, so while writing may imply a risk of getting impaired functionality in some respects, the likelihood of messing up the whole file system is much less. And, in particular, when using NTFS only for the KNOPPIX structure with the persistent image, almost all updating happens inside that file - which ought to minimize the risk of file system damage. So, at least, "installing" the Knoppix files on NTFS seem to be relatively safe. A small warning would still be in place at such "installs", as it is not foolproof, but I think I agree with your considerations

    Edit: Fixed link, it should work now.

  5. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    I have just looked a little bit around, and it seems that using ntfs-3g for writing may now be considered acceptably safe. I don't think the Open SUSE wiki entry, http://en.opensuse.org/NTFS, which has been recently edited and reviewed, would have recommended it , also for ordinary users, otherwise. SUSE is much focused on interoperability. But they advise against mounting damaged systems rw.

    From the descriptions of NTFS 3.1, it seems that changes with new OS versions mostly have to do with metadata use, so while writing may imply a risk of getting impaired functionality in some respects, the likelihood of messing up the whole file system is much less. And, in particular, when using NTFS only for the KNOPPIX structure with the persistent image, almost all updating happens inside that file - which ought to minimize the risk of file system damage. So, at least, "installing" the Knoppix files on NTFS seem to be relatively safe. A small warning would still be in place at such "installs", as it is not foolproof, but I think I agree with your considerations I
    Okay, cool. I appreciate the research you did and the time you give. FYI, in my experience it's confusing for newb-z if you send a link like that; the comma at the end caused a "page not found" error when I clicked it. No problem for me, of course, but others may see it and get frustrated when it doesn't "just work."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Auto Configuration
    By Paul_R in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
  2. saving configuration
    By fungi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
  3. TKPPPOE configuration
    By varaahan in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
  4. Need help with ADSL configuration
    By zer0frost in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 03:01 AM
  5. X Configuration?
    By reub2000 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95