-
can't use available RAM
I am running Knoppix 5.1.1 on an AMD Athlon II X2 235e processor system with 6GB RAM, and would like to use all available RAM. For some reason, Knoppix only uses 3GB RAM, no matter what value I assign in the "mem=" command line cheat code.
Any ideas?
knetter136
-
Junior Member
registered user
My first instinct is that Knoppix is a 32-bit kernel and so is unable to address all of your memory except 4GB minus whatever the video card wants. However, I'm no memory expert, so I could be wrong.
-

Originally Posted by
garaden
My first instinct is that Knoppix is a 32-bit kernel and so is unable to address all of your memory except 4GB minus whatever the video card wants. However, I'm no memory expert, so I could be wrong.
Hmm-
I've read that Windows 32-bit kernels can't go beyond 3GB too; but that is no reason a Linux kernel can't do it. Maybe some lucky guru will spot this here and enlighten us all...
-Krishna
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, did a little more research and found out that a mechanism called Physical Address Extension is required to access extra memory using 32-bit OSs. Unfortunately, activating this mechanism results in kernel modules that won't work on processors that don't support it. Most (all?) modern processors support it, but Knoppix doesn't seem to be built that way for compatibility with old machines. Go here if you want a package that supports this capability (you can enable/disable PAE at will using various Grub entries included in the package). Unfortunately it's a few months out of date, but oh well.
Good luck!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99