-
Junior Member
registered user
Persistent Knoppix 6.2.1 in VMware Fusion 2.0.6
I successfully used the English CD ISO to boot Knoppix 6.2.1 on VMware Fusion 2.0.6 (on Mac OS X 10.6.2), but using it without vmware-tools installed is pretty clunky. I'd like to install vmware-tools, but it's an exercise in futility if I can't get some kind of persistence! I tried the HDD install despite the caveats, but it wouldn't even boot (complaining about "unable to mount root fs on unknown block").
Then I tried reformatting the ReiserFS partition to FAT32 and installing to it as if it were a flash device, or even making a persistent image on an existing physical flash drive and copying its /KNOPPIX directory to the virtual hard drive, but every time I tried to boot from it (either directly or from the Live CD w/ "knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda2") (there's swap in /dev/sda1) it would get as far as the multicolored MICROKNOPPIX and say "Waiting (USB)" until it finally fails to mount /mnt-system.
I verified that fromhd works in certain circumstances, for example when actually rebooting my physical Macbook and booting the Knoppix Live CD I burned, then using fromhd with my physical USB drive (this uses the USB drive for everything, including the persistent image, as expected). But for some reason Knoppix insists upon loading from a USB drive when this cheat code is used, regardless of which device it was actually passed.
The only thing left to try (though this would likely work) is attempting to remaster with vmware-tools installed, but that just seems rather heavy-handed. Plus I'd have to do it again if I ever wanted to install anything else. I mean, I could use VMware Fusion's "suspend" function as a poor man's persistence, but I think you have to full-on reboot to use vmware-tools properly, which of course trashes the vmware-tools install. Any other ideas?
Similar Threads
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
-
By nnigam in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
-
By Josh83 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
-
By Ish Rattan in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 04:49 AM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM
$8.88

Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM
$39.99

IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New
$999.99

2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500
$119.00

Vinatge IBM Compaq OEM DORS-32160 SCSI Drive, 50 Pin, Tested And Working
$39.00

IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.
$32.99

IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan
$19.99

IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested
$40.49

NEW IBM Lenovo T61 14in 4;3 NOT WIDE motherboard T601F FRANKENPAD 44C3924 OEM
$299.95

Lot of 12 Genuine IBM 1299790 Quietwriter Non-Correcting Ribbons Indelible NOS
$129.99