-
AFAIK there is no advantage to 6.2.1; it may even be a downgrade, according to some posters here (6.2's what I use.) Nevertheless, you could most likely do what I think you're trying to do, except it sounds like you did a "full hd install." That is really only useful if you're going to re-master (make your own DVD) - otherwise, it simply leads to problems like you're describing, because Knoppix really isn't well-suited to running that way. Better to install Debian, if you want to go the hd-install way, seems to be the watch-word.
What specifically do you want to get out of the "upgrade?" It may be that you're better off with what you had. You may also want to look at how to use the "poor man's install" (using tohd or the flash-install program) and then fiddle with the boot arrangements, perhaps as Capricorny describes here.
Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Cheers!
Krishna 
p.s. Thanks for the kudos! I agree that the tone of this forum is outstanding - that's why I try to add what I can.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
krishna.murphy
AFAIK there is no advantage to 6.2.1; it may even be a downgrade, according to some posters here (6.2's what I use.) Nevertheless, you could most likely do what I think you're trying to do, except it sounds like you did a "full hd install." That is really only useful if you're going to re-master (make your own DVD) - otherwise, it simply leads to problems like you're describing, because Knoppix really isn't well-suited to running that way. Better to install Debian, if you want to go the hd-install way, seems to be the watch-word.
What specifically do you want to get out of the "upgrade?" It may be that you're better off with what you had. You may also want to look at how to use the "poor man's install" (using tohd or the flash-install program) and then fiddle with the boot arrangements, perhaps as Capricorny describes
here.
Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Cheers!
Krishna
p.s. Thanks for the kudos! I agree that the tone of this forum is outstanding - that's why I try to add what I can.
Counting bugs in 6.2 and 6.2.1, my personal result is that the 6.2 bugs are bigger and more serious, especially with some kernel stuff making installations and compilation difficult. Therefore, I tend to quite stubbornly advise people to use 6.2.1 or 6.3. The module conflicts between the two makes it hard to do any kind of mix and match. That's one of the great problems with attempts at ordinary installs with systems that are specifically not designed for it.
The knoppix-data.img thing is AFAIK only for running from sticks or "poor man's installs" - the only installs I think can be recommended. And you can do lots ot tweaking with your "installs" just by modifying that file, keeping different versions giving you "different installs" etc.
Similar Threads
-
By jrocky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2006, 01:42 PM
-
By siggy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-27-2005, 11:09 PM
-
By loopback in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:23 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 23
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM
-
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00