Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Booting from USB without BIOS support (using CD?)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3

    Booting from USB without BIOS support (using CD?)

    Greetings,

    I have installed KNOPPIX v6.0.1 to USB flash stick using the utility on the Live-CD, but have subsequently learned that my computer's BIOS does not support booting from USB.

    Is it possible to use the Live-CD to boot from USB, perhaps with a command from the "Boot:" prompt?

    I am new to Linux and want to use the terminal in KNOPPIX to learn UNIX shell script and directory structures, and would prefer to do so from the "safe" environment of a USB flash disk, rather than attempting to install to the hard disk.

    Thank you in anticipation

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    PLoP Bootmanager

    My old laptop does not support booting from USB flash devices, too. But one day I found a solution. I use a small programm called "PLoP Boot Manager" http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html running from CD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3
    Thank you klaus2008, for your prompt reply and assistance with this query.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Booting from USB without BIOS support (using CD?)

    Quote Originally Posted by quadphonic
    Greetings,

    I have installed KNOPPIX v6.0.1 to USB flash stick using the utility on the Live-CD, but have subsequently learned that my computer's BIOS does not support booting from USB.

    Is it possible to use the Live-CD to boot from USB, perhaps with a command from the "Boot:" prompt?

    I am new to Linux and want to use the terminal in KNOPPIX to learn UNIX shell script and directory structures, and would prefer to do so from the "safe" environment of a USB flash disk, rather than attempting to install to the hard disk.

    Thank you in anticipation
    1. Burn a Knoppix v6.0.1 on the CD.

    2. Make sure your BIOS setting can boot from the CD drive first.

    3. Insert the CD to your machine.

    4. Power on the machine and let it boot all the way to the X-window appears.

    5. Now insert your USB stick to the machine, knoppix will find your USB stick and will assign a device name to it. It could be sdb1 or sdb4 depends how you create your USB stick to boot format.

    6. Remember that device name: I assume it is sdb1 and I will use this name until the end of this message.

    7. OK, now shutdown the knoppix.

    8. Remove your USB stick after the machine is shutdown.

    9. Re-insert the USB stick to the machine. Leave the CD in the CD drive.

    10. Power on the machine again.

    11. When it boots up, it will boot from the CD and the Knoppix screen will appear.

    12. At that time, key in the following:

    Code:
    knoppix   bootfrom=/dev/sdb1
    The USB stick will take over the boot process and after the boot, leave the USB stick on the machine while you are using knoppix but you can remove your cd from your machine.

    Step 1 to 8 only need to do it once. Every subsequence boot start from step 9 to 12.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    Code:
    knoppix   bootfrom=/dev/sdb1
    In Knoppix 6.0.1 there is no boot option "bootfrom".

    Knoppix 6.2.1 allows you to boot from USB devices by using the fromhd cheatcode:
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
    The following procedure workded for me in addition to using the PLoP bootmanager.
    1. Read the Knoppix 6.0.1 iso into an iso editor
    2. Deleted KNOPPIX directory
    3. Saved the edited iso
    4. Burnt the iso as usual to CD
    5. Booted the new Knoppix CD with inserted USB flash device
    The search algorithm found my Knoppix on the flash device.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008
    In Knoppix 6.0.1 there is no boot option "bootfrom".

    Knoppix 6.2.1 allows you to boot from USB devices by using the fromhd cheatcode:
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
    The following procedure workded for me in addition to using the PLoP bootmanager.
    1. Read the Knoppix 6.0.1 iso into an iso editor
    2. Deleted KNOPPIX directory
    3. Saved the edited iso
    4. Burnt the iso as usual to CD
    5. Booted the new Knoppix CD with inserted USB flash device
    The search algorithm found my Knoppix on the flash device.
    Sorry Folks, my mistake.

    I tested out the bootfrom cheat code using the 5.1.1 CD and 5.1.1 on USB with my non-USB-bootable P3 machine.

    Just don't aware that the 6.0.1 chops out all those useful LiveCD features. My assumption is that they should be backward compatible. However, it proves that I was wrong.

    Got a feeling that the latest 6.x version is shifting away from LiveCD idea. It's more on newer hardwares and expects the users to install to the HD.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
    Got a feeling that the latest 6.x version is shifting away from LiveCD idea. It's more on newer hardwares and expects the users to install to the HD.
    I wouldn't say it exactly so. In 6.3 DVD, it seems that Klaus has taken care to include most usually needed packages and plugins. He has a simple, but principally unsolvable problem: Packages continue to grow, plugins multiply etc, so in any given space, an ever growing number of packages has to be left out. To me, both the CD and DVD versions of 6.2.1 seem to strike a reasonable balance, but there will always be discussions about the exact selection.

    Personally, I would have liked less stash and fewer alternatives, and more tools instead.

    As for the problem of booting, it's really simple with 6.2.1. Just setup BIOS to boot from CD/DVD, setup the stick with the "Install Knoppix to flash" option, insert the original CD/DVD, insert the usb stick (make sure you know what it will be named, e.g. by issuing fdisk -l), I assume /dev/sdb1 here, do a simple startup with
    Code:
      knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1 no3d screen=1280x800
    (or whatever your monitor resolution is for the screen= parameter)

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    (or whatever your monitor resolution is for the screen= parameter)
    To me, this seems to indicate a major flaw in the concept. I want Knoppix to be a system that will boot and work on whatever system I boot it on. I use it for many things, from data recovery to testing new systems, to just showing friends Linux running on their hardware. If I have to customize a usb device for a particular screen then I would rather just use the CD or DVD.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    (or whatever your monitor resolution is for the screen= parameter)
    To me, this seems to indicate a major flaw in the concept. I want Knoppix to be a system that will boot and work on whatever system I boot it on. I use it for many things, from data recovery to testing new systems, to just showing friends Linux running on their hardware. If I have to customize a usb device for a particular screen then I would rather just use the CD or DVD.
    This is a flaw introduced in 6.2.X, it worked perfectly (as far as I could check) in 6.0.1, and I don't think CD/USB has got anything to do with it.

    On a somewhat deeper level, I think it illustrates a basic problem with a significant OSS system being essentially a one-man enterprise. And I really don't think Klaus is to blame for that.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting through EFI (MacBook Pro, not BIOS)
    By fbarrett in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM
  2. Booting a USB drive when the BIOS doesn't support it
    By jacksonon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 11:24 PM
  3. How do you check if BIOS allows booting from a CD-ROM?
    By Wikipedea in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
  4. BIOS Doesnt Support Boot From CD
    By Duddled in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 02:29 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital WD 3.5

Western Digital WD 3.5" Western Digital Red 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD - Works great

$79.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99