Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Hard Drive Unknown Error

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Hard Drive Unknown Error

    A friend of mine brought her laptop to me with a crashed XP install. I've been able to boot to a KNOPPIX live cd, but when I try ato access ths laptop's hard drive I get the following message,

    Unable to mount device "Error org.freedesktop.HAL.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure"

    Does anyone have any ideas how to mount the hard drive or is it dead?
    Thanks for the help

    -- Cha0s

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    You might try to do the mount operation manually. Which Knoppix version do you use?

    When I got such an error message I opened a terminal and entered
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/myHdd
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/myHdd
    Then I got an explanation what went wrong and what I had to do next.

    Maybe you have to use another partition instead of /dev/sda1. You can get a list of the available partitions by executing
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2
    I'm using KNOPPIX 6. I did what you said and manually mounted the hdd. I had to force mount it because XP "improperly" shut down and the system was still showing that it was active. After force mounting it i was able to get to the data on it. It's slow going but I'm pulling it off now. Thanks for the help.

    -- cha0s

Similar Threads

  1. Error Message when reading Hard Drive
    By cmj33875 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
  2. network error (unknown host) on Knoppix 4.0.2
    By jazevedo in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 03:06 PM
  3. hard drive partitioning error
    By lbthrice in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 01:53 AM
  4. Hard drive read access error
    By freddagg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$449.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69