Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: boot problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1

    boot problem

    Long story short I went away for a weekend, left my desktop for my roommate to use (i have the only printer, finals are next week) when I got back I found out he downloaded god knows what, got some sort of virus and through his attempts to remove it, my computer would freeze before it could even finish booting.

    I have had success with using f-secure.com before so I made a knoppix recovery disk to remove the virus from my desktop. It worked without a hitch, or so I thought.

    Now whenever I try to boot windows, after the boot screen my monitor just turns completely black. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on because I can boot Knoppix fine off my cd drive, I just can't boot windows.


    The monitor is a LG Flatron W2353V
    video card is EVGA Geforce 7800 GS

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Sounds like a Windoze problem, not a Knoppix problem, sonsrey

    Have you tried Windoze repair/reinstallation?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Sonsrey, maybe this is the time for you to start running Windoze in a virtual machine under Knoppix? Works very well for me, and the virus infestation problem reduces to just copying in the backup of the virtual machine..

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by sonsrey
    ..... had success with using f-secure.com before so I made a knoppix recovery disk to remove the virus...
    I strongly caution against writing to a NTFS partition with Knoppix. You have access to any important data that you don't have backed up now (although, if it was really important you would have it backed up, right?), but may not after writing to NTFS with Knoppix. Also be aware that not all NTFS corruption manifests itself immediately; you could think that you "fixed" things and had the system working again, but some pointers could be mucked up but not obvious, and the disk could start showing problems days or weeks later. I would never trust a NTFS partition that had been written to with Knoppix until it had been completely recreated and reformatted. It might work, but I've seen too many reports of disaster here to trust it.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem
    By sid_galt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
  3. USB Boot problem
    By codeforge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
  4. Another boot from CD problem
    By capate in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:23 PM
  5. Boot problem
    By SK in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$199.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz

$380.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00