Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Flash-Knoppix Command

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1

    Flash-Knoppix Command

    When I run the flash-knoppix command, after selecting the Cruzer 8GB USB device, I get a cp: error after 98% of the process is complete. the cp: error is an read/write error.

    There is one 8GB Fat32 partition.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Bill

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: Flash-Knoppix Command

    Quote Originally Posted by Billa
    When I run the flash-knoppix command, after selecting the Cruzer 8GB USB device, I get a cp: error after 98% of the process is complete. the cp: error is an read/write error.

    There is one 8GB Fat32 partition.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Bill
    Maybe nothing? This should not happen, usually it will be due to media errors - if there is enough free space left on the medium, then. You could try to format the stick with verification, some burning programs, like k3b, have an option for verification of the CD/DVD burning, too. If you trust the stick, the CD/DVD may very well be the culprit.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: Flash-Knoppix Command

    Quote Originally Posted by Billa
    When I run the flash-knoppix command, after selecting the Cruzer 8GB USB device, I get a cp: error after 98% of the process is complete. the cp: error is an read/write error.

    There is one 8GB Fat32 partition.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Bill
    Not sure if it is related. I believe I saw some posts on the forum before (maybe on other forum) complaining about the Cruzer USB device. I remembered they say the Cruzer comes with a special program and format in the drive to do some kind protection so that it will create problem for Knoppix.

    According to my memory, the folks on the forum say he needs to remove that program and then perform some tasks similar to re-format the USB device to make it work.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    The Cruzer/U3 problem usually manifests as a 'boot error' after appearing to load successfully. It can usually be avoided by formating the Sandisc Cruzer in Windows. Fat32.

    This sounds like a bad cd/dvd burn, I would suggest trying to burn the ISO? again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    u3

    I had the same problem on 4gb flash drive, but it did not occure on my second attempt. It is possible that the U3 software is the cause, it is totally useless and real evil. Here is a way to remove U3 from your flash
    http://u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ3

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.0.1 printing from command line
    By gizero in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 02:19 AM
  2. knoppix 3.9 / stuck at command line
    By TyIsOwned in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
  3. Install to Compact Flash option like Flash Puppy
    By monckywrench in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
  4. some question about knoppix command.....
    By the dragon one in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 05:02 PM
  5. Knoppix-installer command not found
    By jaykay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 01:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor

$55.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00