Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HDD Meta Install Script

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39

    HDD Meta Install Script

    Hi, I love Knoppix, of all the Linux versions I have tried, it has the best harware detection and configuration options.

    However, the big problem is that this does not translate during a HDD install to a great HD OS. Almost all of the best configutation features are lost, together with a lot of hardware detection and networking options.

    I wondered since it is possible to save a Knoppix configuration via saveconfig, if this could be used to build a meta install script that would mirror exactly all of the user set up and configuration options that are selected prior to performing a HDD install. It would be nice too if the users Knoppix home directory (the one you format to hold your persistant Knoppix partiion) could be expanded, so that no user files are lost either.

    Bsically I want my Knoppix HDD install to look and feel exactly like the Knoppix cd does. (with the ability to auto mount all my drives just as Knoppix does). The graphical CD can then be used as a very cool install and configuration utility, allowing you to set Knoppix up just the way you like it, or change various things yopu don't like, before deciding to install it.

    That really would make Knoppix the coolest Linux OS there is....

    Q

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    What you ask for has been discussed extensively- read the docs man. Alot of people have put uncountable hours into them.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39
    Well there's no need to be rude. I don't even use Knoppix any more beyond as a rescue CD. I personally use Gentoo. If there has been a discussion about this then I would be happy to contribute to it.

    I personally don't have an infinite amout of time to sit and read the doccumentation for a distribution I hardly use. The reason I don't use it regularly is exactly for the reasons I have given.

    So what was the outcome of this doscussion, what was decided? Or are you just going to be rude again... You could have at least posted a link - although I guess searching isn't such a bad thing. The problem is I didn't know exactly what it is I am supposed to be searching for...

    It is people like you who spoil the fun of the computing experience. This is an open public forum. The worst I was hoping for was an informal chat about this subject, or more information about it, which sadly you appear reluctant to provide.

    Perhaps I think you should work on your social skills a little.

    Q

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by raid517
    Well there's no need to be rude. I don't even use Knoppix any more beyond as a rescue CD. I personally use Gentoo. If there has been a discussion about this then I would be happy to contribute to it.
    Sorry if you feel offended. If you truly want to contribute then you could help write some of the documentation perhaps.

    I personally don't have an infinite amout of time to sit and read the doccumentation for a distribution I hardly use. The reason I don't use it regularly is exactly for the reasons I have given.
    Then I would suggest trying IRC.

    So what was the outcome of this doscussion, what was decided? Or are you just going to be rude again... You could have at least posted a link - although I guess searching isn't such a bad thing. The problem is I didn't know exactly what it is I am supposed to be searching for...
    There is already a link. It's at the top of the page and it's called Docs

    It is people like you who spoil the fun of the computing experience. This is an open public forum. The worst I was hoping for was an informal chat about this subject, or more information about it, which sadly you appear reluctant to provide.
    Allow me to answer in kind; I personally don't have an infinite amout of time to sit and rewrite the documentation for a distribution that you hardly use.

    Perhaps I think you should work on your social skills a little.
    Now that I won't argue with! It's just that it's blatantly obvious that you haven't read any of the docs at all. Seems a waste of time to me to keep rehashing the same subject- wouldn't you agree? Don't get bent out of shape- show up prepared and you won't get fired upon.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39
    Mate I read what I needed to know.... But if you think I, or any mere mortal has time to wade through hundreds of (usually not so well sorted) doccumentation)just to uncover some small snippit of probably, on the whole scale of things irrelevant information, your living on another planet.

    I read stuff that's relevant to me. I just got through reading and installing Gentoo from their docs - and they are quite a bit more difficult to follow than your average distribution.

    All I did was ask a casual passing question on an open public forum - and you seemed to go a bit demented with that.

    You sound like you help write the docs. I'm sure their very good docs. But I was looking for a quick pointer, not an indepth explanation of the inner workings of Knoppix in miniscule detail. Anyway if it is such a big FAQ, you would expect it to be in the HDD install FAQ right? Well I have to see I don't remember seeing it there. (See I did read some of the doccumentation...)

    I can tell you one thing for sure. I definately don't want to come on a forum and get in a fight with somebody just becuase I asked what seemed to me like a perfectly reasoable question. On the whole I just can't be assed arguing with people on forums. Its all a bunch of petty point scoring garbage.

    I'm happy to be reasoable. I think I was. I don't think I should have been so hard for you to reciprocate. Hey I've got an idea, in future, if a question really pisses you off, how about you just don't answer it? Its not exactly brain surgery.

    Q

Similar Threads

  1. install script
    By rickwinters in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 08:19 AM
  2. Samba script not working after HD install of v3.3
    By r00t 4orce in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 03:57 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 01:36 PM
  4. Realplayer, Flash...... install-script
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 06:29 AM
  5. Wine X (CVS) Script for HD Install
    By BionicToothpick in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2002, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM picture

Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM

$649.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Mixed Lot of 248 SAMSUNG 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5 Server RAM picture

Mixed Lot of 248 SAMSUNG 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 M393B1K70CH0-CH9Q5 Server RAM

$1999.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ 128GB (8x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ 128GB (8x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz

$899.99



Ballistix 8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming  picture

Ballistix 8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming

$40.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB picture

ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB

$149.99