-
How to access local files on Linux?
I am new to linux. I have Windows XP on my system and loaded VMware Workstation to run Linux as my second operating system.Now, I am not able to access a local folder in my C drive? How can I do it??????
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: How to access local files on Linux?

Originally Posted by
kurapatisrk
I am new to linux. I have Windows XP on my system and loaded VMware Workstation to run Linux as my second operating system.Now, I am not able to access a local folder in my C drive? How can I do it??????
If I understand you correctly, you have Windows XP running as the host system, then on the top of it, you have a virtual machine running Linux as a guest OS.
If you are running such configuration, the Linux is running in the virtual machine which consider itself a stand-alone machine inside your local network. You can view you have two logical machines running in one physical box. (i.e. one Windows XP machine and one Linux machine) But on the OS level, they are total separated and independence to each other.
So if you want to access the windows xp's file system from the Linux machine, you can use samba to setup a NFS on the Linux side to access the Windows box file system. (a kind of share drive concept on the Windows world)
see detail on http://knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Shared_Drive_FAQ for setup steps
One thing you need to remember is that, both Windows XP and Linux are active (both are running). So you may not be able to touch or modify some system files on the Windows side.
Rgds,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By Paul Weinstock in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-29-2008, 03:52 PM
-
By funksean in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-05-2005, 08:44 PM
-
By vigilante in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 10:59 AM
-
By brianinmaine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 09:51 PM
-
By warwick in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99