Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: harddrive mounting opinions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    harddrive mounting opinions

    I am getting this error when attempting to access on ntfs windows xp home edition partition on knoppix 6.0.2 live cd. I get org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknownfailure. i have read up on the but most of the posts on the internet are forgotten about never updating about the solution. I have read a lot of articles and it seems like most people say this is a mounting issue and you just need to mount it or force mount it. I understand that and would like to try but is this safe? Many posts say it is not safe to force mount that drive and you could ruin it forever. I simple want some opinions before i attempt to force mount it. I am pretty sure i can fix the drive using windows repair utility but i would like to get the data before i attempt to fix the drive. Thank you for your time.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: harddrive mounting opinions

    Quote Originally Posted by cb81490
    I am getting this error when attempting to access on ntfs windows xp home edition partition on knoppix 6.0.2 live cd. I get org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknownfailure. i have read up on the but most of the posts on the internet are forgotten about never updating about the solution. I have read a lot of articles and it seems like most people say this is a mounting issue and you just need to mount it or force mount it. I understand that and would like to try but is this safe? Many posts say it is not safe to force mount that drive and you could ruin it forever. I simple want some opinions before i attempt to force mount it. I am pretty sure i can fix the drive using windows repair utility but i would like to get the data before i attempt to fix the drive. Thank you for your time.
    I've been having the same problem; I used something off the "Hiren's Boot CD" to fix the NTFS partition (it was not dismounted cleanly, according to one of the other tools on that disk.) Just Google that disk name if you don't have it, it's all over - the best place I found to get it was a Thai server - very fast, no gotchas.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3
    ya i have used hirens before its soft of confusing what was the utility you used? Thanks for the quick reply.
    Connor

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    sectors

    did you run the utility to fix the sectors?

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: sectors

    Quote Originally Posted by cb81490
    did you run the utility to fix the sectors?
    I'll just reply quickly, without rebooting to Hiren's (no time now) - it was in the hard drive section, I think, and the thing that did the trick was just a chkdsk - just not the one in XP.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: sectors

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by cb81490
    did you run the utility to fix the sectors?
    I'll just reply quickly, without rebooting to Hiren's (no time now) - it was in the hard drive section, I think, and the thing that did the trick was just a chkdsk - just not the one in XP.
    It's in the NTFS section, first selection; it runs the chkdsk program first (on default), which I think you can do yourself by dropping to the command line; that brings up a German language prompt "Drucken Sie die [Enter] Taste und die Laufwerke zu prufen" which I think means "hit Enter and choose a drive".

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting HardDrive (Windows Folder?)
    By ProjectW in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
  2. Trouble Mounting Harddrive
    By NeedHelp1212 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 03:14 AM
  3. Distro Opinions
    By eon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 08:55 PM
  4. mounting harddrive
    By blahblahblah in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 07:53 PM
  5. Where did my USB 2.0 Harddrive Go?
    By Isaacav2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$139.99



1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop picture

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop

$29.99



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$325.10