Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New user question Why don't I see my HD or my USB flashdrive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    New user question Why don't I see my HD or my USB flashdrive

    Ok I'm new to Knoppix and I'm excited about it. I bought the book "Knoppix Hacks" and I've sent for the new version 6.2.1
    When it boots from the CD (in this case ver 5.1.1) should the desk top have my drives icons on it by auto-detection or do I need to use the "mount /dev/hda" codes? From what I read they should be on the desk top as Icons and all I need do is determine which drive I want to see the files from.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    depending on version it would or would not show on desktop.

    personally I would go the manual way, not all would, but it is actually the "easy way", true it requires some typing but it almost always works. and if not we have more information to work with to solve the problem.

    to find what disk it is we want you can type command below to list available disks.

    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    (the l is lowercase L) to find the

    then do

    Code:
    sudo mount
    to se what (if anything) is mounted and where.

    now do
    Code:
    ls /media
    to see if there is already a folder created for the disk and partition you want to reach.

    if not create it
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/yourname
    now mount it.
    Code:
    sudo mount -t filesystem /dev/diskname+partitionnumber/media/yourname
    filesystem is the filesystem of the disk, ntfs, vfat, ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs...

    ask further if you have problems, that book should have more information, not to mention the internet, but feel free to ask anyway.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    oh, you could try the mount /dev/hdXY (X=disk letter Y=partition number) first, it should work, just did not mention that as it was implied in your answer that you knew about it.
    my way is worth learning as it will work on most Linux and other Unix like systems.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    uhm, the sudo part does NOT always work, but typing su and giving root password mostly does.
    when the commands have been typed you then type
    exit
    to end the "root" session.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thank you, OErjan the manual way is almost always better. I appreciate your answer and will give your instructions a try. I have lots to learn and I hadn't put together that the / hdX,Y command stood for drive letter and partion yet. Makes more since to me now...I kinda had one of those "Oh, duh" moments Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you are welcome, keep asking, we are many here that like to help.

Similar Threads

  1. can this mp3 player/usb flashdrive boot knoppix?
    By benx009 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
  2. Cannot mount writable partitions on HD and flashdrive
    By rybrns in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 10:52 PM
  3. Partition USB flashdrive
    By paulf in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 02:02 AM
  4. Flashdrive issue on Knoppix3.4
    By kufel in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 06:42 PM
  5. can only access flashdrive as root user - help!
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 05:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Palo Alto PA-440 Next Generation Firewall 8 x 1GE Ports W/ Power Adaptor picture

Palo Alto PA-440 Next Generation Firewall 8 x 1GE Ports W/ Power Adaptor

$250.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



UniFi UCG Ultra Gateway Max picture

UniFi UCG Ultra Gateway Max

$200.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Protectli Vault FW4C 4 Port Firewall Mini PC 8GB 120GB SSD picture

Protectli Vault FW4C 4 Port Firewall Mini PC 8GB 120GB SSD

$300.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99