Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Quote Originally Posted by sdream
An airticle states that Knoppix Live CD can restore or re-build Vista's winload.exe.

I am ignorant of the Linux system and a 2-month-new-born baby to Ubuntu family.....
I don't know who is writing these articles, but you are being mislead. It is not safe to write to a NTFS partition with Knoppix (even if you can figure out how) and there is a good chance that doing so will corrupt the entire partition.

The best advice that I can give you is to recover any needed data (backup to FAT partitions, burn CDs or DVDs, or transfer the data across a network to another system, which could have NTFS partitions since it would be doing the actual writing, not Knoppix) and then reinstall Windows from the original discs.
Thank you very much, Harry Kuhman !

This is roughly what that author said (not in English) :
1. Run Linux Live CD (Knoppix or similar one) and enter the Rescue mode.
2. Be sure your PC is connected to internet.
3. Input these commands:
wget
http://cha.homeip.net/downloads/ms.mbr
-O /tmp/ms.mbr
dd if=/tmp/ms.mbr of=/dev/hda
exit and restart.
The effect is the same as fdisk\fxmbr.

I simply do not know how to input these commands, so, I come to ask for help.

All my files are safe because I keep all of them in partition D.
And I am sure that the physical hard disk drive is in normal functional conditions.

The above mentioned author's method for solving the problem seems to be much easier than that of the torrent ISO DVD.
I really do not have the knowledge to evaluate whether what he says is practical.
What on my mind is an easy way out.
You are right. It might lead me to more trouble if it is not the right method.

Thank you!