-

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
I agree with Harry - using Linux to fix Windows/NTFS problems is, generally, too risky. It may work, but if/when it does not, you may be far worse off than before you made the attempt. I think a reinstall may be safest if you know that one file is corrupted/missing, but you don't know exactly why: It may actually be more damage there.
I have one extra suggestion: If you have very valuable data on the drive, you have no reason to think NTFS is corrupted (just some program files damaged) and you are in a hurry, you might try to setup a new disk for the Windows reinstall. You mount the existing disk in an external USB SATA cabinet, install Windows on the new disk, plug in the old one and transfer the files. For backup purposes, you could read from NTFS and write to FAT32 partitions using Knoppix, but as you will have Wndows running anyway, you might just as well use Windows for the backup.
Starting afresh with a new disk may be safer and easier than fixing an existing one.
Thank you, Capricorny!
There is not valuable date on the drive. I usually do not keep anything on the same drive as the OS.
And I am positive that the HDD is in good conditions because I have put a another HDD (an old WD Caviar SATA 1)
into the machine and installed XP on this HDD, and I can reach all the data on Hitachi SATA 2 easily.
There is no installation DVD with OEM machine. I burned recovery DVDs right after the purchase but the recovery DVDs
do hot do anything to boot-files such as winload.exe.
I know where to download bit torrent ISO DVDs but I am a bit hesitant to touch bit torrent files.
Yes. I will download it if there is no any other way to get out of this problem.
Thank you!
Similar Threads
-
By GCMartin in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
-
By johnrw in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
-
By andyc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-01-2006, 06:46 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-06-2006, 04:32 AM
-
By jjbergdolt in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)
$575.00

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New
$284.79

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99