Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel!

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel!

    <edit: This thread created from posts split from here - Admin>


    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by seribas
    I have java script enabled through my web browser (ice weasel) but i dont believe i have the right plug in, when attempting to download the plug in I dont know which one to pick/ or how to get it enabled.

    I am super super new to not only linux/knoppix but with computers in general. so if you can dumb it down as much as possible that would be great. this is getting way off topic from faq's though, im going to move back to general support under: how to get Java to work
    It's quite natural that you have missed this: In contrast to many other versions, even though Javascript is enabled, scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel. I think you will soon learn to appreciate this feature - it's certainly not a bug .

    But you must allow scripts, preferably page-wise. To do that, you right-click the script-icon in the bottom right corner of the browser window. Then you have a few choices, don't start with "Allow scripts globally", but in some cases you must choose "allow all this page" to make it work right. Just experiment. Good luck!
    Personally, I hate this "feature" - when using the DVD boot (not persistent image) I always get rid of the NoScript addon. There are several IceWeasel annoyances that I gladly shed when I can use Chrome. I have NEVER benefited by the "protection" of these types of things, but they are most likely needed by others sometimes, I guess.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16

    javascript/adobe flashplayer

    maybe im not being clear enough.

    I want to watch video online, youtube,hulu, etc. when i go to youtube it says i either have javascript turned off or i need a newer version of adobes flash player, i look in prefrences javascript enabled. now which plug in do i need to download?? after downlaoded what do i do with it then? do i somehow assighn the new flashplayer somewhere?

    disabling the NOscript add on does didily squat. nor does using firefox (exact same problem)

    TY for any help! and please reply in the "how to get javascript to work" thread, this one is totally off topic

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: javascript/adobe flashplayer

    Quote Originally Posted by seribas
    maybe im not being clear enough.

    I want to watch video online, youtube,hulu, etc. when i go to youtube it says i either have javascript turned off or i need a newer version of adobes flash player, i look in prefrences javascript enabled. now which plug in do i need to download?? after downlaoded what do i do with it then? do i somehow assighn the new flashplayer somewhere?

    disabling the NOscript add on does didily squat. nor does using firefox (exact same problem)

    TY for any help! and please reply in the "how to get javascript to work" thread, this one is totally off topic
    You have to download Flash player - it's not included by default, as it's not open-source. Open a terminal window and cd /wherever/you/would/save/it and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    That should do it!

    Krishna

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: Scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel!

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by seribas
    I have java script enabled through my web browser (ice weasel) but i dont believe i have the right plug in, when attempting to download the plug in I dont know which one to pick/ or how to get it enabled.

    I am super super new to not only linux/knoppix but with computers in general. so if you can dumb it down as much as possible that would be great. this is getting way off topic from faq's though, im going to move back to general support under: how to get Java to work
    It's quite natural that you have missed this: In contrast to many other versions, even though Javascript is enabled, scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel. I think you will soon learn to appreciate this feature - it's certainly not a bug .

    But you must allow scripts, preferably page-wise. To do that, you right-click the script-icon in the bottom right corner of the browser window. Then you have a few choices, don't start with "Allow scripts globally", but in some cases you must choose "allow all this page" to make it work right. Just experiment. Good luck!
    Personally, I hate this "feature" - when using the DVD boot (not persistent image) I always get rid of the NoScript addon. There are several IceWeasel annoyances that I gladly shed when I can use Chrome. I have NEVER benefited by the "protection" of these types of things, but they are most likely needed by others sometimes, I guess.
    Well, then you have surely not been much around to sites that bomb the browser with script content to make the computer kneel even with just one tab open. There are lots of them, and with several tabs in use, even more modest sites can reduce the usability of the computer severely. It is a well known problem with all Linux distros, and to a large extent, but not exclusively, associated with Adobe stuff. As for protection, it may be enough with just ONE time you don't "benefit", so if you have never (as far as you know) been the victim of malicious scripts so far, it doesn't really prove much. It's exactly the same situation as with seat belts - until your first crash, they may seem utterly useless.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: Scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel!

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by seribas
    I have java script enabled through my web browser (ice weasel) but i dont believe i have the right plug in, when attempting to download the plug in I dont know which one to pick/ or how to get it enabled.

    I am super super new to not only linux/knoppix but with computers in general. so if you can dumb it down as much as possible that would be great. this is getting way off topic from faq's though, im going to move back to general support under: how to get Java to work
    It's quite natural that you have missed this: In contrast to many other versions, even though Javascript is enabled, scripts are turned off by default in Iceweasel. I think you will soon learn to appreciate this feature - it's certainly not a bug .

    But you must allow scripts, preferably page-wise. To do that, you right-click the script-icon in the bottom right corner of the browser window. Then you have a few choices, don't start with "Allow scripts globally", but in some cases you must choose "allow all this page" to make it work right. Just experiment. Good luck!
    Personally, I hate this "feature" - when using the DVD boot (not persistent image) I always get rid of the NoScript addon. There are several IceWeasel annoyances that I gladly shed when I can use Chrome. I have NEVER benefited by the "protection" of these types of things, but they are most likely needed by others sometimes, I guess.
    Well, then you have surely not been much around to sites that bomb the browser with script content to make the computer kneel even with just one tab open. There are lots of them, and with several tabs in use, even more modest sites can reduce the usability of the computer severely. It is a well known problem with all Linux distros, and to a large extent, but not exclusively, associated with Adobe stuff. As for protection, it may be enough with just ONE time you don't "benefit", so if you have never (as far as you know) been the victim of malicious scripts so far, it doesn't really prove much. It's exactly the same situation as with seat belts - until your first crash, they may seem utterly useless.
    Yes, I am somewhat circumspect with websites, but what I meant was that I am CONSTANTLY (irritatingly) having to okay some script, or approve something-r-other else when I try to use IceWeasel instead of Chrome (even without the script-blocker). There are surely sites that mess me up occasionally (tab-killing is one of my pastimes), and I often use the Incognito mode on Chrome when I'm viewing Flash content (esp. on Hulu) as that strips out all the lovely extensions I'm so fond of when doing normal browsing. There was an interesting article (http://blogs.gartner.com/ray_valdes/...ml5-and-flash/) about HTML5 ending the rein of Flash, in case anyone is interested. I did find that I had to add RAM recently, as Adobe Flash was just always croaking; I managed to make it a gift to our daughter by upgrading her Netbook first (which she loves and can't switch off of Vista without losing face with her peers) and then adding her castoff RAM to my machine. I guess I'd rather deal with the periodic difficulty on certain sites than be bothered constantly to click "Okay" to something that would work fine if the browser just went ahead and DID what I told it to do - but that's just me. Like I said before, it's to each his own (several 'owns' being easily possible with three or four browsers loaded per OS install) in this world of Linux and Gnu-stuff.

    Krishna

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Just one click..?

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    ..........
    Yes, I am somewhat circumspect with websites, but what I meant was that I am CONSTANTLY (irritatingly) having to okay some script, or approve something-r-other else when I try to use IceWeasel instead of Chrome (even without the script-blocker).
    ..........
    But allowing scripts globally is just one operation in Iceweasel? Are there many unnecessary warnings left when all scripts are allowed?

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Re: Just one click..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy
    ..........
    Yes, I am somewhat circumspect with websites, but what I meant was that I am CONSTANTLY (irritatingly) having to okay some script, or approve something-r-other else when I try to use IceWeasel instead of Chrome (even without the script-blocker).
    ..........
    But allowing scripts globally is just one operation in Iceweasel? Are there many unnecessary warnings left when all scripts are allowed?
    I figure that I might as well rip it out if it's going to be off anyway. And yes, it's constantly bugging me even w/o script protection.

Similar Threads

  1. SH: can't access tty; job control turned off
    By djody in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 08:46 PM
  2. Iceweasel shuts down
    By bythesea in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 04:35 AM
  3. upgraded knoppix (on hd) and wireless eth0 turned to wlan0
    By tofergregg in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:08 AM
  4. Knoppix turned off the PC... forever?
    By matteofb in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96