Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: WARNING: Site may be down while we make some changes

  1. #21
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    New users don't have access to settings so can't change their time zone, profile or other settings.

    I'm going to keep it that way as there are about 20-30 new registrations everyday who seem to be here for no reason except to create a profile with a linkback to their spammy site. If they can't edit their profiles they can't create any links (but can't change clock/time zone either). My apologies to those new users who are here for genuine reasons. If that's you, please drop me a PM or email after you've made a few posts and I can manually approve you for those permissions.

    Once a new user completes 10 posts of a reasonable quality and completes 30 days of membership, they'll be automatically upgraded to some limited access of their settings, e.g. they can control the clock/preferred time zone.

    To address previous feedback on searching: search function should now be working better. In a few days it should be 100%.

  2. #22
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Most things seem to be working fine with the update. But I discovered today there's an issue with moderator privileges. Any moderator having problems with this, please drop me a PM or email. Thanks.

  3. #23
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Broken Links

    Sent by email at 06:06 PM 5/10/2010:

    Hi Clinton,
    Thanks for the update.
    Do you know that the forum upgrade did break all the references to the forum posts ?
    Inlcuding links to other posts within the forum, which reduces significantly the use of the forum.
    It also breaks all the references from other forums and indexes from search engines.
    Is it possible to freeze (read only access) the old forum and still make it available for reference and start a new one ?
    What was the reason to migrate the forum from phpBB to vBulletin ?
    Do you still have a snapshoot of the old forum ?
    Thanks,
    Gilles

    PS: sorry for my late feedback, I should have mention this much sooner... (I have been quite busy travelling...)
    Last edited by ruymbeke; 05-25-2010 at 08:01 PM.

  4. #24
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    Hi Gilles,

    Sorry for the delayed reply. I was hunting for your email which seems to have slipped through. I've recovered it and have a detailed reply in draft which I will send you in due course. Thanks so much for that feedback. We had to move because the old forum software was very, very old and very insecure. Keeping the spam at bay was a huge task. Not to mention hammering from the bots. These forums would normally need just a basic shared hosting but I had to move to a dedicated server to cope with the load. All that stuff is back under control now in a major way. And long-suffering Harry (who never complained, BTW) now finds he has several more free hours every week.

    I was very reluctant to make any major change - I'm not the changing type of guy and while some of the drawbacks of moving were anticipated, some weren't and I'm working to fix them. Yes, I do have a safe copy of the old database.

    More in the email. It's a long weekend here so please bear with me if that spills over to Tuesday or so. There's some other stuff I wanted to chat with you about that's best left to email.

  5. #25
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Hi Clinton,
    Any update ? I did not see any email from you...
    May I ask for the forum backup ?
    Thanks and Best Regards,
    Gilles

  6. #26
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    ruymbeke, I'm back at the office tomorrow. Let me check my outbox and get back to you (and resend).

  7. #27
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    174
    ruymbeke, you have mail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Warning: Do not purchase from xplinux.biz
    By thegroover in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
  2. Cookie warning from KDE
    By lotech in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 05:58 PM
  3. WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By spacedude89 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 01:40 AM
  4. Warning running airsnort!
    By mentaL704 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 07:26 AM
  5. download knoppix from a mirror site to make a bootable CD
    By tivadarpreiss in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Apple Macbook Air 13

Apple Macbook Air 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 256GB READ DESC

$434.99



Gaming PC Desktop Computer 12-Core RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 32GB picture

Gaming PC Desktop Computer 12-Core RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 32GB

$600.00



Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED picture

Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED

$259.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536) picture

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536)

$249.99



MacBook Air 13

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond

$450.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Lenovo ThinkStation E31, Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40Ghz/ 32GB RAM, 500GB HD, Linux picture

Lenovo ThinkStation E31, Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40Ghz/ 32GB RAM, 500GB HD, Linux

$85.00