Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bad BIOS causes boot failure on USB-drive-Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Bad BIOS causes boot failure on USB-drive-Knoppix

    Hey-

    I've been unable to boot directly from my USB-drive-Knoppix (I ran the flash-install utility) alone, falling back on a CD/DVD boot and then typing:
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
    which worked okay, but now I've been able to try it on another system which has (apparently) a good BIOS, and I didn't need the CD. I've gotten some updated BIOS files, but am reluctant to flash the BIOS, as it seems like a failure might render the PC useless. I've been looking as I went along, and I've come across some alternatives, specifically SuperGRUB and THE Lin'N'WinNewB PROJECT, and I'm a bit at sea. I'm also looking at Unetbootin and wonder if it can help. Does anyone have a good grasp of all the issues and feel able to offer a useful perspective?

    Krishna

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Another possibility, I think, might be the use of PLoP Bootmanager http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html which adds some USB booting capabilities to the system. You can try the CD version first and see wether your USB drive boots. The PLoP Bootmanager even enables the VMware Player 3 to boot from USB devices.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008
    Another possibility, I think, might be the use of PLoP Bootmanager http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html which adds some USB booting capabilities to the system. You can try the CD version first and see wether your USB drive boots. The PLoP Bootmanager even enables the VMware Player 3 to boot from USB devices.
    Thanks! I remember now that I'd seen this in these fora before, but it was only a "wasn't there something else?" when I was writing this. I'll take a look and see what seems best.


Similar Threads

  1. Can't boot from CD, Bios doesn't recognize the CD drive
    By yukichigai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 09:35 PM
  2. Knoppix for Data Recovery? Hard Drive Failure!
    By OpenIntro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
  3. Old BIOS, no Hard drive
    By Majii in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:27 AM
  4. Input/output failure cloning to USB drive
    By erd in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 03:22 AM
  5. CD Drive Not being recognized in BIOS
    By JugglingSuns120 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99