You might want to check out PLoP Bootmanager. You can boot from almost anything "visible", I think. I'm still getting started with it myself, but it looks pretty great so far, and it's been recommended by others who know more than I do.
Krishna![]()
facts: old laptops Armada 1700 with no HD. Only 1 usb 1.1 port. 2 PCMCIA-slots.
It is possible to boot from USB-stick , bootfrom=/dev/sda1/kn.iso , very slow!! but it works.
I want to boot from pcmcia 5in1 card reader. (and later Compcat flash)
Till now it is absolutely not possible to boot from this device.
Is it possible anyway?? 1 work with knoppix 5, it is really the limit for mine system.
Armada 1700 laptops are now 11 years old. So i have to deal with limitations.![]()
You might want to check out PLoP Bootmanager. You can boot from almost anything "visible", I think. I'm still getting started with it myself, but it looks pretty great so far, and it's been recommended by others who know more than I do.
Krishna![]()
Have you tried Knoppix 6.2.1 or 6.3? The reason I ask is that I think USB support may have become better in the latest releases, and if you use LXDE without Compiz (cheat code no3d), I'm not sure it will be quite hopeless to run on your hardware.

Vintage Apple Macintosh PowerBook Duo 230 With Power Supply Floppy Drive Parts
$100.00
Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00
APPLE IIC A2S4100 VINTAGE PERSONAL COMPUTER UNTESTED AS-IS, NO POWER CABLE
$149.99
$50.00
Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00
Vintage Apple PowerBook G4 Titanium Laptop 800 MHz 60 GB HD 15" LCD Screen A1001
$79.99
TESTED Original Apple IIc 2c Power Supply A2M4017 15V 1.2A 18W WORKING Vintage
$55.00
Vintage Apple M7886 Power Mac G4 Cube 450MHz 64MB 20GB
$299.99
Vintage NOS Apple iBook Two Sided Cloth Banner Think Different
$99.99
Vintage Apple Macintosh 80MB SCSI 2.5" Hard Drive IBM WDS-280 PowerBook 1992
$65.00